Brewed a Amber, turned out great....But..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iparks81

Reaction score
I made up this recipe trying to use up some old hops/specialty grains. The things that I don't know about this brew are the fermentation temps.I normally keep it around 65-70 but this brew for some reason or other wasn't cared for and wasn't recorded...My dumb fault, its one of the most neglected beers that I've made...Yet its one of the best beers that I've made except for one defect. 2 weeks after bottling I put a beer in the fridge for sampling. It Tasted like the beer was dry hopped with Rubber Bands!....Yuck!
So I decided to wait it out. 3 months have passed and I can still taste slight rubber flavor although it has faded greatly , but the malt bill and hop schedule are right on! I couldn't be happier with the malt flavor and hoppiness (under the rubber flavor)
I guess my biggest question here is .. what caused the rubber band flavor (Im assuming its the ferm temp) and by happenstance its the Clearest beer that Ive ever brewed..I'm wondering if its from the 1 month 5 day Primary (most of my other brews get 3 weeks or so)
or if there is something else that I'm not seeing.

Recipe: C hop Amber
Brewer: Ian
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Amber Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.92 gal
Estimated OG: 1.063 SG
Estimated Color: 13.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 30.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
12 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 93.68 %
5.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 2.42 %
4.0 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 1.95 %
4.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 1.95 %
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 15.0 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (40 min) Hops 14.5 IBU
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (1 min) Hops 0.5 IBU
1 Pkgs California Ale V (White Labs #WLP051) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 12.81 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 20.00 qt of water at 162.9 F 150.0 F

thanks for any help!

Thanks! so maybe ferm temps weren't at play here, it could have been chlorine that played a factor....not that I use chlorine based sanitizers (I use Star-San) ...but it is mixed with Phoenix tap water which is Way high in Chlorine...maybe I didnt drain the bottles as much as I should have.

I've had beers with diacityl that almost have a rubber band kind of flavor to them which could be fermentation temperatures problems. I would have never thought that it would mellow with aging, though I've had a similar problem just recently and cannot explain this phenomenon either

if you went right from the tap to mix your star san up i'm guessing that is the problem (I don't really have much as a say because I've only been brewing since august) but if your water has chlorine in it that will ruin a beer quick. Even just using the water straight out of the tap for your brew will do some damage. I've done some reading on here about chlorine and chloramine, and those guys have a lot to say, do a search for those threads. Luckily, where I brew has some old nasty stinky hard farm well water but it doesn't have any chlorine. I do however make my yeast starters at my apartment which has chlorinated water so I'll fill a gallon up and let it set for a week or so and shake the bubbles out periodically then let it boil for awhile before throwing the DME in and lettin her buck... Maybe some campden tablets might help you out, but hopefully it's not that chloramine stuff in your water, seems like the threads say that stuff is quite a bear...

Latest posts

Back