BrewEasy/Grainfather Hybrid Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Reaction score
This is a Blitchmann Breweasy/Grainfather inspired build.

Originally I had been going to use an old Burco as the mash tun but it’s an interesting shape isn’t really round and and the shape changes as you move up from the base. I might still have used it even with it’s faults but it’s short and fat were I needed tall and thin.
So Frankenmash became a true Ghetto build made from parts, leftovers and a bucket, the most expensive single item being the bucket.

I used the bucket as a malt pipe as it is easier to seal against a truly round container rather than struggle with an irregular shape.

There are two separate lines out, the centre overflow and a line to drain the wort that has passed through the grain bed.

As my design called for a bottom drain from the bucket the Burco became a stand which gave me the opportunity to inject spray foam as an insulator between the bucket and the Burco and into the Burco’s base. the minimum thickness of insulation is about 1cm at the top increasing as you go down the side.

The filter screens (20 mesh) are supported on polypropylene with a cast silicone seal on the bottom filter and a choice of spacers on the top screen. Using straight connectors I can lengthen the drain tube as required but I can also alter the mash ratio to adjust the wort level.

A choice of orifices rather than a valve is used to control the flow through the bed as they are less likely to block.

For this first first batch I’m mashing 5kg of grain with an initial ratio of 3:1, a flow rate of 4 l/min and an orifice that will permit a maximum flow rate through the grain bed of about 2.5 l/min. This combination will ensure a constant flow down the overflow while ensuring that if the mash blocked the drain is capable of accommodating the entire flow.

Mashing full volume requires 29 litres of water assuming an efficiency of 66% to hopefully produce about 19litres at the expected gravity, if I get better efficiency I’ll dilute back.

Well brew day is done and the Patersbier is tucked up in the FV.
I returned a brewhouse efficiency of 69.9% which is good for a full volume mash. My attempt to liquor back went a bit wrong as I miscalculated and I have a OG (into fermenter) of 1.050.

The only issue was one of my control boxes breaking down fortunately I had calibrated the probe on my spare box.
Temperature control was within 1°C throughout the mashing period and the difference between the temperature in the kettle and at the exit of the wort return tube was of the order of 1°C.
Clean up was easy less trouble than handling a floppy BIAB bag, I dumped the spent grain, hosed out the MT wiped it dry and put it away.

So far I’m happy with the build and next time I’ll sparge as well.

I'd like to build this in SS but getting a vessel the right shape seems to be beyond me.

ATB. aamcle

Back