Brewdog recipe low temp mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PHLarry

Reaction score
I’m looking at making a sour from brewdog recipe book (#327). It says to mash at 127 F for 25minutes, and that’s it for the mash. I’m confused by this; anyone ever try this? It says it’s from a fanzine mag, so maybe certain steps are left out of the recipe?? How is sugar produced?

The brewdog recipe book has a reputation for being inaccurate. I am not sure what they mean here, but a single rest at 127F would not cut it. The next one has the same, and then #329 has a mash temp for 15 minutes at freezing temps!!!

Are they just adding 3 types of acid after fermentation? The recipe is pretty light on specifics.

Personally, I would look for a better source for recipes.

The brewdog recipe book has a reputation for being inaccurate. I am not sure what they mean here, but a single rest at 127F would not cut it. The next one has the same, and then #329 has a mash temp for 15 minutes at freezing temps!!!

Are they just adding 3 types of acid after fermentation? The recipe is pretty light on specifics.

Personally, I would look for a better source for recipes.
I can’t find any sour yeast at my local morebeer store so thought I’d just add the mix of acids after active fermentation along with some homegrown lemon juice. Think I’ll just do my usual mash on the low temp side for a 1/2 batch and see what happens.

My wife requested a sour. I've never attempted one before but with Philly Sour it seems just like making any other beer. The only part I dread will be the fruit addition - I hate messing around with fruit.

I can’t find any sour yeast at my local morebeer store so thought I’d just add the mix of acids after active fermentation along with some homegrown lemon juice. Think I’ll just do my usual mash on the low temp side for a 1/2 batch and see what happens.

Do you have a grocery store? It’s honestly a much better place to get the souring Bacteria (not yeast). All natural non fat yogurt works. Good belly is a great source. Plenty of “probiotic” pills you can buy as well.

You can just add acid... you can also microwave a steak...

You can also just use A handful of grain. There’s plenty of souring bacteria living all over the grain you have. Just have to know how to prop it up.

Back