BrewDog at it again (41% ABV beer)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not focus on what really is driving these guys? THEY'RE DOING IT AS A BIG MIDDLE FINGER TO THE NANNY-STATE!

At this point, they've won:

"Alcohol Focus Scotland, for one, is waving the white flag of surrender with the news of Sink the Bismarck: 'Over the past few months BrewDog have continued to produce stronger and stronger beers. By commenting on this irresponsible brewing practice we only serve to add to their marketing and therefore we have no further comment to make.'"

This is almost (if not more) absurd than the whole distillation argument.

How can anyone consider BrewDog's ridiculously strong beers irresponsible? On the website they're charging £40.00 for a single 330 ml bottle. That's $65. Does Alcohol Focus Scotland really expect people to spend that much on something just to get drunk?

There's all kinds of cheap wines, malt liquors, and disgustingly frightening (and just plain disgusting) stuff like Four Loko out there that should worry them much, much more than expensive boutique beers.

For that price you can get a good single malt scotch instead of something that might taste good or not and won't be readily available afterwards if it does taste good. I won't go into the whole "beer or no beer" argument since it's clearly a novelty brew. I don't think I could buy it if I wanted to: most of the stock is already spoken for if I remember right, so discussing its merits is a moot argument.

But it would be cool to use the freezing technique once, just to see the results at the homebrew scale.

But it would be cool to use the freezing technique once, just to see the results at the homebrew scale.

I agree, and its a clever trick. But... brandy is not wine, ergo, these freeze distilled products are not beer-- they are something else entirely. So, Ill have to second with what someone said earlier, beers like utopias, which clearly stay within the "beer" realm, are far more impressive.

just my $0.02

I agree, and its a clever trick. But... brandy is not wine, ergo, these freeze distilled products are not beer-- they are something else entirely. So, Ill have to second with what someone said earlier, beers like utopias, which clearly stay within the "beer" realm, are far more impressive.

just my $0.02

Brandy isn't freeze concentrated.

Lots of hate here... Has anyone else actually tasted this thing?

So my friend brought one over last night -- Merry Christmas! The taste is simply amazing--it's very hoppy, and still has a malt body. This is nothing like a whiskey or scotch. It is an entirely different hop filled beast. It's incredibly smooth and flavorful. It doesn't have the burn associated with a typical spirit.

I do believe it has a place as a beer after trying it. I would love to be able to recreate the shear amount of flavor contained in such a small glass. This means I will be trying... If it wasn't prohibitively expensive I would keep some around at all times -- it's that good. If you get a chance, try it!

my uncle made an eisbock once.

put a corney outside in -2F weather for an hour or so.

opened the lid, there was an "ice jacket" on the inside walls. hooked up gas and transferred as much out as he could before the ice fell. apparently it worked rather well for him, i never had it...

Back