BrewCipher Suggestion - custom FWH calculation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DBhomebrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
@VikeMan

I understand that setting a hop addition as FW will calculate it as boil time + 10% which matches lab tests showing a 10% bump in actual IBUs.

However, I am not particularly concerned with actual IBUs. I am concerned with perceived bitterness and am attempting to match the perceived bitterness of published recipes using top of boil hopping.

Postings here on HBT and elsewhere, such as Denny Conn's posts at AHA, suggest figuring FWH as a 20m addition to better calculate for perceived bitterness and flavor.

May I suggest adding a customized calculation for FW additions? Users could then decide to keep the +10% default or choose a different calculation based on their taste.

Much appreciated.

Hmmm. I'll think about it. But I'm sort of fundamentally opposed to it, as I think the "20 minute equivalent" perception is nutz, and not at all what I experience. I know there are a couple homebrew celebrities who have promoted the idea, but I think there have been just as many, or more, who have called it nonsense. Anyway, I'll think about adding it as a user adjustable parameter. No promises. I might have to have a couple beers before it seems like a good idea (to me).

Hmmm. I'll think about it. But I'm sort of fundamentally opposed to it, as I think the "20 minute equivalent" perception is nutz, and not at all what I experience. I know there are a couple homebrew celebrities who have promoted the idea, but I think there have been just as many, or more, who have called it nonsense. Anyway, I'll think about adding it as a user adjustable parameter. No promises. I might have to have a couple beers before it seems like a good idea (to me).

Thanks for the consideration. I really do enjoy your software, thank you for making your work available to the community.

Latest posts

Back