Brew today. Pitch tomorrow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCoonigan

Reaction score
So, i'm supposed to brew tonight but completely forgot to do a starter. I was wondering... could I brew and bucket my wort tonight, make the starter in the meantime, and pitch it tomorrow? Anyone ever tried that? Results?

People do this with No-Chill all the time, though do be sure your buckets are really really sanitized as it will be exposed until you pitch.

I do this every time. Getting my wort to pitching temp, especially for lagers, is impossible with my tap water in the summer.

Brew sunday, stick it in the fridge, pitch monday afternoon after work.

I regularly do this. I don't have a wort chiller, so I "overnight chill". I usually can get to pitching temps within 12-18 hrs depending on ambient temps or how often I can swap frozen bottles in my swamp cooler. Let's me do a real-wort-starter... I pull some wort after the hot break but before the hop addition. Use that for a starter and direct pitch at high krausen without crashing.

I just leave my wort in my kettle with the lid on (which has been sanitized by the boil) until cool enough to transfer to my fermenter and pitch.

You can also cool to 160 or so and transfer to a sanitize bucket fermenter. Slap on an s-type airlock (3-piece can have suck-back). Here, you're only cooling so as to not soften your plastic bucket with too much heat.

I hope it goes without saying that you shouldn't transfer hot wort to a glass carboy or even a plastic better bottle.

Ive pitched plenty of batches 24 hrs later with no ill effects... As long as you have good sanitation, you are good.

I've done it also, like others said make sure you're very sanitized. Since there is no yeast to fight off infection, it is a vulnerable time for you wort

Back