Brew Spaces?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mccumath

Reaction score
Here is a picture of my "Brew Space" that I am continuously working on to suit my needs. It's not much, but works for everything I have used it for so far. Above and to the left is a 220V outlet that runs up to my garage... I wish I had the engineering background (and the money) to somehow work an electric brewery into my space. This is down in my basement, and stays relatively cool (mid 50's in winter to mid 60's in summer). The space where my mash tun and kettle occupy may eventually become a fermentation chamber, but have not gotten that far yet. The kitchen sink is right above where the brew space sink is, so it was easy to tie it into the drain line. Hot and cold water lines over head were also easy to tie into. Laundry sink I think not! That is a beer brewing sink! I hope my next place has a room similar to this, works great.

Ryan M.

Thanks EdWort - those two fermenting vessels are full of EdWort's Apfelwein and EdWorts Bavarian Hefeweizen. Have a month or two left on the Apfelwein and about 2 weeks on the Hefe. Life is good!

IMGP0001.jpg

IMGP0003.jpg

IMGP0002.jpg

I was looking for a cheap and inexpensive way to cover the OSB board base that I used as the counter top. Thought maybe linoleum flooring or the like, did a little more research, and started looking around for laminate counter top material. Purchased some from a local supplier, and stuck it to the top of the plywood with spray glue.

If you are possibly thinking of doing such things, word to the wise... this stuff is ridiculously difficult to cut with basic tools. I found this out the hard way. Utility knife blades work, but they take a long time, and you have to make sure you have cut all the way through the lining. Then you have to bend the stuff until it cracks along the line you scored. Not the best way to cut this stuff I imagine, but hey, it worked. The sink side, I got everything cut (used a jigsaw with super fine blade for the sink cutout and the cuts around the sewer pipes) and sprayed the glue... Apparently once it makes contact, it is stuck... I ended up ripping the piece off as fast as I could after I realized the GIANT mistake I made, ended up in pieces and I had to start over. Good times!

Everything else is just 2x4's, OSB, and gold screws. Caulked around the sink and the upright 2x4's to prevent water damage if there is a ton of water on the counter top. Super easy, cheap, and works very well!

Ryan M.

Back