Brew shed walls

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryanEBIAB

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m planning a brew shed (uninsulated) for my induction BIAB set up and curious what everyone’s thoughts are on walls. Aside from holding the roof up, I’d want them to be easy to clean. I was thinking of adding some sort of smooth paneling. I plan to leave a screened over gap at the top and bottom for air flow behind the wall to allow any moisture to escape. Cheap would be nice. Resistant to mildew and the steam I’ll put off would be better. What should I be sure to consider?

Thanks all!

Fiberglass reinforced panels (FRP). Kind of depends on what you mean by cheap. This material is commonly used in commercial kitchens.

Price wise, depending on the area of the country, 4x8 panels range from 20-40 bucks. Both styles have trim pieces to clean up edges where two panels meet or inside/outside corners. You'll need some framing behind them to support any of these panels though as they are very thin material. While you're at it I'd install some plastic peg board to hang some of your brewing items.

Galvanized roofing panels work well
Steel panels, whether galvanized or painted, are usually cheaper per sq. ft. than FRP, at least in this part of the world. Corrugated steel panels, which cover 2 ft in width, are usually galvanized. The wider panels, with triangular shaped ribs, called Delta rib or Pro Panel (the contours are similar) are usually painted, and are usually cheaper per sq. ft. Due to supply chain issues, YMMV. :cool:

FRP works great for what you'll need it to do. Easy to work with (cuts easily, applies easily, and cleans up very easy). I chose the textured panel rather than the smooth panel since it has the increased chance to get gunk (brewing stuff, dirt, cobwebs, etc.) on the panel. I am just finishing up a brewery area build and a taproom in my out building. I used 4 x 10 sheets of black FRP from Menards (special order - they stock white). I also purchased an inside corner, several trim pieces and adhesive to attach to the wall. The cost was about $65.00 per sheet ($1.62 sq. ft.) plus trim pieces. In addition to the FRP, I put slatwall on the wall so that I can add hangers, box trays, etc. Here is a picture of the almost finished area. In my taproom area I used pine that I stained. Let me know if you would like other pictures.

Attachments

• brewery 1.jpg
    brewery 1.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 0
Back