Brew Pumps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wfu1bunn

Reaction score
I plan to buy a brew pump and am curious as to which one on the market now is best and best value. I've researched Chugger and Blinchmann and I understand there is good and not so good in each.

I look forward to the feedback.

For a normal homebrewer (under 10 gallons) the chugger polysulfone pump is the best value. This one has the same GPM as the march and riptide pump at a lower price.
It will last just as long as a SS body if you don't mess up the threads.

As far as best pump, this is more subjective.
If I was to buy a new pump I would look at the SS chugger max center inlet pumps with the enclosed motor housing.

There's only one TEFC center inlet Chugger SSMAX and it's a pricey beaut.

TCPSSMAX-CI-TEFC-Web.jpg

Haven't read any reviews about it on HBT yet.

fwiw, I've been running a pair of March 815PLs for years and as long as you respect the polysulfone they're hard to beat wrt performance, low noise, and reliability...

Cheers!

If you just looking to move water from hlt to mash or mash to bk than I think a dc solar pump is your best value. You can find them for under $20 on ebay and power them with a wall wort or a $15 ac/dc converter. I use one on my hlt and mt. I have a chugger for my bk and really like it but it was substantially more expensive. The the chugger or mach pumps have benifits like Whirlpool or if time is a concern filling the mt from hlt, my chugger pump is twice as fast as my dc pumps. Also the chugger can move bigger particles. When I recirculate and sparge i cut the flow from my dc pumps so there is no advantage to the chugger there. The chugger does handle larger particals a little better. My suggestion is get the dc pump and fittings to go with it and if you don't like it get the chugger or march, the fittings can be moved over.

I went with that approach. Bought a dc pump was happy till it clogged one day during a hoppy beer. Instead of putting hop filter in bk I got a chugger pump. The chugger has moved the beer no matter how many hop pellets I've put in so far. When I wanted a third pump, so I don't have to change as many hoses, I didn't hesitate to get another dc pump. I like my chugger but If you put a filter your bk and don't mind transfers taking a little longer I would buy 4 cheap dc pumps (one for a backup, i broke one being too rough) for less than the price of 1 chugger.

Heres a link to one I bought recently https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-24V...var=670974117145&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I use one of these to power it but can use any ac/dc converter https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-DC-12V-...493679?hash=item2390c2146f:g:idYAAOSwImRYDd~B

If you're looking for a really good value, the Keg King Mark II is a great value at $70 shipped. It's a bit smaller pump and not too noisy. I use this for light duty pumping.

I also have Chugger with the stainless head for something a bit more heavy duty. I spent the extra for a stainless head as I have a complete tri-clover RIMS system and didn't want to worry about accidentally snapping the polystone from over-tightening.

I use a center inlet chugger SS pump that I got for $140. I get a great whirlpool out of it and I also use it to force transfer from the BK to the fermenter. I have a spray aerator attachment on the transfer hose that, the the pump on max, really sprays the wort into the fermenter. This does a great job of oxygenating the wort with minimal effort. Suitable for all but the really high gravity batches IMO.

I can't speak to the others, but I do like my pump.

I use a center inlet chugger SS pump that I got for $140. I get a great whirlpool out of it and I also use it to force transfer from the BK to the fermenter. I have a spray aerator attachment on the transfer hose that, the the pump on max, really sprays the wort into the fermenter. This does a great job of oxygenating the wort with minimal effort. Suitable for all but the really high gravity batches IMO.

I can't speak to the others, but I do like my pump.

Hwk, would you mind sharing what sprayer attachment you use?

If you're looking for a really good value, the Keg King Mark II is a great value at $70 shipped. It's a bit smaller pump and not too noisy.

I have the keg king, it's a great quality pump. It was pretty quiet with the polysulfone head, but since upgrading to the stainless head it is completely silent. Whether its throttled down to a trickle or on full blast, I have to feel it to confirm that its actually running. So long as the flow rate suits your needs you can't go wrong with this pump.

Latest posts

Back