brew pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manaalaq

Reaction score
I have done quite a bit of reading on this site, but I can't remember reading an answer to my question.

I am just getting started and need some advice on a brew pot that will get me started without killing my pocketbook. Size, material type, source? I am thinking I will buy an equipment kit from Williams. It does not come with a stock pot/brew pot.
thanks.

I'm surprised you didn't uncover the Great Stainless vs. Aluminum Controversy in your searches.

I use a 10 gallon aluminum that I purchased at my local restaurant supply store for $50 or so. Stainless will run you around $200 in for that volume. However, this is only necessary if you are doing full volume boils(6.5-7 gallons down to 5.5).

If you're just starting out doing extract kits, you'll only be boiling 3 gallons or so and thus will only need a 5 gallon pot. The 5 gallon version you can pick up in stainless at Walmart or a similiar spot for cheap.

You also might just want to mail order the whole starter kit from AHB or Northern Brewer? It's an easy way to get started.

I am hoping to be able to do my boil right on my stove top. Those turkey fryers seem to be a little big for that. I will be able to get gas a lot easier where I will be living next year, but it is still expensive as it is either sent in via barge in the summer or haz-mat by plane in the winter. It is impossible to drive to Home Depot:)

I'll look into those other kits as well.
Quyana

Well, when I first started with extract brewing, I used my pasta pot. It worked great, and I didn't have to buy anything! Do you have any nice stockpots, or canning pots?

Sounds like shipping will be a challenge for you! I would just get ahold of the largest pot you can find. You can also use an enameled pot, the kind that is used for canning.

How are you planning on getting ingredients?

Be sure to check any sporting goods stores that sell camping equipment. Many of them will have large pots. Restaurant supply stores are another excellent source. Make friends with someone at a local restaurant and get them to buy one for you.

And unless you're really short, you can use the turkey cooker pot on the stove.

Mor.

We have been planning on making a batch of fireweed jelly for a while now and a good canning pot would be nice to have around, especially if I can use it for more than one thing. We have an enamel pot of decent size, but it has been downgraded to boiling traps... nasty thought of mixing those two hobbies. We'll be heading into Anchorage/Fairbanks next month on our way moving to Galena and they have camping stores, walmart, etc. I'm 6'4". Height is not an obstacle... how are standard ranges at getting that much water up to a boil?
Blacklab- shipping is always interesting, but that is the tradeoff you make to live in the bush. I am moving from prime caribou hunting to prime moose/bear hunting with two duck seasons in both places. It is worth the trade.
Yooperbrew- grew up in Alpena, appreciate the nod to the wings. We have some pasta pots... I only need to boil 3 gallons when I start up using kits and extracts, right?

I just bought a SS brew pot from cabelas (we happen to have one close so i didnt need to ship it) and it was 75 bucks. its a 9 gal. i plan to start small but at the same time i have no doubt ill eventually work into bigger and better stuff so i just bought the larger pot. They have a larger SS version than mine as well but i didnt get it. See my post in the "equipment and sanitizing" forum, i think i called it "started gathering my gear"

if you are just getting started, buy yourself a decent enameled pot. You can use it for all kinds of things (including cooking!) and for brewing you will scale down your brewing to a concentrated boil. Instead of boiling 5 gallons, maybe you boil 2.5 or 3. Then you top off your fluid level in the fermenter with boiled water (that you boiled before brewing and put into sterile jars and have waiting conveniently). This will get you rolling for the cheapest amount. If the bug bites you and you want to keep going, then when you move you can buy a turkey frier setup (some come with SS pots and are quite nice for a full five gallon boil, I boil in one now and start with 6.5 gallons). Watch for turkey frier sales at your local Sam's or Price Club or whatever, but look for them the day AFTER thanksgiving. :) I recommend getting one with the big fat round stand that is wider than the pot. Nice and stable.

zachatola said:
I just bought a SS brew pot from cabelas (we happen to have one close so i didnt need to ship it) and it was 75 bucks. its a 9 gal. i plan to start small but at the same time i have no doubt ill eventually work into bigger and better stuff so i just bought the larger pot. They have a larger SS version than mine as well but i didnt get it. See my post in the "equipment and sanitizing" forum, i think i called it "started gathering my gear"

What's the catch? This seems like a great deal to me.

I picked up a 20 quart Stainless pot at the local Goodwill for $15.00. When I boiled with it, some wort flowed out the holes where the handles are attached! I figure its worth it for now.

Soperbrew said:
What's the catch? This seems like a great deal to me.

Im not sure there is a catch, i thought the same myself, and when i got there i looked it over, its nothing overly special, it is just a simple 9gal stainless pot, with a lift out basket, and a full stainless lid. I thought maybe it was some cheap SS but i slapped a magnet on the side of it and it wont stick anywhere so the quality of stainless is pretty decent.

The only thing i dont like about it is the lack of a "heavy" or "capped" bottom. Some pots have an extra thick plate on the bottom of them, this doesn't its basically just a formed SS pot, nothing fancy, so there could maybe be an issue with scorching if your not johnny on the spot with your boil and stirring.

ill try to get some pics of the pot one of these evenings and post them up for you guys to see instead of the "sales" picture.

Cool. Thanks for all of the information. I'll look around at some of the cabelas type stores in Los Anchorage when we go in this summer. We are looking at flying out of here on the 21st. Our kids are outgrowing their cold weather gear and we'll be spending some green as we try to update that... perhaps I could slip a nice pot in the cart under the carharts.

Well here are the pics i had promised for you guys.

36qt (9gal) SS brew pot (water bottle standing next to it for scale)
IMG_0248.jpg

all that comes with it for 75 bucks
IMG_0249.jpg

inside
IMG_251.jpg

lol, like i said above, it doenst have the "plated" bottom, but it isnt that big of a deal to me. And for 75 bucks i thought it was a pretty good deal.

Is it harder to whirlpool with a tall narrow pot like that? Hell of a deal for sure though.

i would imagine it is probably a bit tougher, but i haven't had a chance to try it yet so i cant say for sure. scrap alum should work just great i would think.

Back