Brew pot??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mss

Reaction score
Just picked up a 8 gallon aluminum pot, I took my cheesy 5 gallon Walmart pot back it worked good for my first brew but wanted to upgrade. My question is will aluminum be ok? I've read several posts where people go back and forth on stainless or aluminum.will this mess up my brew?

My understanding is it will work just fine. But it isn't as fool proof as stainless. You will need to build up a passive layer of aluminum oxide by boiling a full pot of water for an hour. just be careful when cleaning that you don't remove the protective oxide layer. Myself, I got a aluminum pot with my turkey fryer but wont use it. I got a good deal on a 70 qt stainless pot on ebay.

Aluminum is just fine, boil some water in it before first use.

Read through the FAQ & aluminum vs SS sticky threads, 99% of all aluminum pot questions are addressed there. Cheers

Its fine. I started off learning to brew all grain on aluminum turkey fryer pots and a gatorade mash tun. You can brew great beer with it

Awesome thanks for the good advice! Going to boil water in it for an hour then go for it this weekend. Next one is a fat tire clone from the brewmeister. CHEERS!

I use a 8gal aluminum kettle. Its great, just be carefull of cleansers that leave a film behind and try not to scratch it.

I just clean mine with hot water and paper towels.

Back