Brew Pot Spigot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petho

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I bought a turkey fryer from Sears and the pot came with what looks like a chrome plated spigot on the bottom of the pot.
Can I use this to drain the wort after boiling?
Seems like it would be ok but I thought best to ask.

pot.jpg

The down side to that spigot is cleaning it.

You will have to take it apart to get at the guts of it.

That nut under the handle is what holds the spigot together. I would take it apart every so often and be sure you are not getting hop/break crud built up inside the spigot.

I would guess your spigot is chrome-plated brass. I robbed a ball-valve spigot from an electric turkey fryer pot; it was chrome plated brass. To help create a "siphon" effect, I tapped the kettle side of the valve to 1/4" NPT, then threaded a 3.5 X 1/4" copper nipple into it. To this, I friction fit a brass PEX (I may have had to drill it out a bit to accomplish this) elbow which gets it to within 1/8" of the bottom. The discharge end was just the right size to accept (silver soldered in place) a small length of 3/8" od copper tubing, this will allow me to attach a longer length of copper to help with the siphon draining into the fermenter.
I will be giving it a try real soon. I have some stainless screen that I will fashion into a filter "boot" over the PEX elbow opening.

I have to take my valve apart to clean, but it is rather simple to do. One time I forgot, so I just ran a few ounces of boiling wort through it; it must have done the trick because there was no infection!

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm thinking of purchasing pretty much the same fryer. I wonder if you know what size barb I would need to fit on that spigot.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm thinking of purchasing pretty much the same fryer. I wonder if you know what size barb I would need to fit on that spigot.

I have that same pot. I was able to take the tube from the Brewers Best kit and put it INSIDE the spout.

However my last run with whole leaf hops clogged it beyond use. I'm planning on replacing it with a larger ball valve to avoid it again.

Back