brew pot help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjones

Reaction score
Ok I have been through a turkey cooker, a canning pot, a sankey keg which it's very wasteful of propane, and currently a mega pot which is extremely efficient but just too short and fat. What would be a good option? and not the obvious one in the boiler maker BC they are over priced and out of my price range thanks

Think I'll be ordering the ten gallon with steamer from you since I do biab. How far does it sit from the bottom?

Sorry didn't mean to double post

Cool I had an idea of putting a e heating element under it for the mash then turning on the propane burner for the boil. Has anyone done that? Wonder if it would damage burner

Cool I had an idea of putting a e heating element under it for the mash then turning on the propane burner for the boil. Has anyone done that? Wonder if it would damage burner

The risk I see is overheating the element and cord where it protrudes from the kettle. You could likely shield this w/ some aluminum foil and be careful not to fire the burner to high.

I will ask, if you have an element in the pot, why use propane at all?

Cause I would need you use 220v element and I only have 120v in the garage. My breaker panel is way on other side of house in laun. Room:(

Ben, on your ten gal pots if I have my own ball valve can I just screw it on? Does it have female threads on outside or do you need a nipple?

kjones said:
Cause I would need you use 220v element and I only have 120v in the garage. My breaker panel is way on other side of house in laun. Room:(

If you have 2 circuits in your garage, you can just use 2 heater elements. I am doing that with biab.

Ben, on your ten gal pots if I have my own ball valve can I just screw it on? Does it have female threads on outside or do you need a nipple?

Assuming the ball valve is a female 1/2" then all you'll need is a 1/2" nipple for it to screw it. If you order a kettle make a note on the checkout and I'll throw a nipple in for ya :mug:

I'm interested in buying a bigger kettle, and after reading the great reviews here going to go with SpikeBrewing. Two questions: 1) Are you offering any current discounts? 2) Whats a rough estimate on delivery time after ordering? I'm in PA.

Thanks in advance!

I'm interested in buying a bigger kettle, and after reading the great reviews here going to go with SpikeBrewing. Two questions: 1) Are you offering any current discounts? 2) Whats a rough estimate on delivery time after ordering? I'm in PA.

Thanks in advance!

At the moment everything is in stock except the 20 and 25gal kettles. I need to get more 25's made up and order more 20's. Those are about 2 weeks out. All other kettles are stocked and ready to ship out. Travel time from WI to PA is 2-3 days.

-Ben

Ok good. I'm thinking 10gal or 13gal. For $5.00 more I might go 13. I'm doing 5gal batches right now and like the idea of being able to bump it up to 6 or 7 gal batch as needed.

Another question: I have a glasstop electric stove with the biggest burner being 12". Think this will be a problem? Your 13gal is 15.5" wide.

Another question: I have a glasstop electric stove with the biggest burner being 12". Think this will be a problem? Your 13gal is 15.5" wide.

I don't see any problem with the burner size

No personal experience here, but I would be surprised if a glass top electric stove could boil a full batch...say 7-8 gallons in a 13 gal., 15.5 wide kettle, hope I'm wrong here. I remember reading, with such a wide kettle the glass top will get hot as hell and the element will throttle back so as not to overheat the unit.

my glass top stove shuts off if the diameter of the pot exceeds the burner diameter by more than 1.5" so that the cook top isn't damaged.

less expensive glass tops might not care, but you might damage the finish/surface if the pots too wide. I had to do split boils in two 16qt stockpots until I got a propane burner for outdoor use.

Hoping we are not being overly optimistic here that a glasstop kitchen stove can do full batches w/ a 15.5 wide kettle. Caveat emptor...is that the right phrase? or is it implied warranty?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/pot-glass-top-range-143808/index3.html

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/qu...ramic-glass-electric-ranges-97528/index3.html

I have boiled 6.5 gallons on my glass top stove.

But..... It was in my 30qt aluminum turkey fryer pot. I ran out of propane just as the boil started. I took it inside to finish. It held the boil well. Although most of the hard work was already done.

Moving the pot from the garage to the stove was not particularly fun.

Yep, I just boiled 6.5gal in my 30qt aluminum turkey fryer pot this week too...worked good, a little too good (boilover) :(

So I figured bigger pot should fix the problem.

So I got my new brew kettle (13 gal) in the mail couple days ago. That was fast shipping and it looks great. Thanks Ben! Though I think I should've bought the 10 gal...this thing is huge! I have a 4-yr old and my wife took one look at it and said "OMG you can fit a Kayla in there!" (My daughter's name) Uhhh no lol! Seriously though, fits on the burner with only about an inch on either side not covering the surface of the kettle so it should be good to boil what I need. Well at least I shouldn't have any more boilovers! If I do, I'm trying to have one lol. Boiling 7 gal in a 13 gal kettle, yeah...

Latest posts

Back