Brew of the Sierras!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reno_eNVy

Reaction score
Okay, so I'd like very much to brew a batch that captures the essence of the Great Basin/Eastern Sierra area, that being Reno/Tahoe basically. Eventually I'd like to make a lambic of wild yeasts harvested in the region, but for now I'd like to make one with juniper berries and sagebrush.

It would most likely be juniper for flavor and aroma and sagebrush for aroma (possibly dry hopped?) I was wondering if anybody has the answers to a few questions:

1) How can I sanitize wild juniper and sage?
2) What should I do to add it? Make a tea maybe?
3) If I'm to get the flavor/aroma combo I'm looking for, when should I add each? I'm assuming sage as a secondary addition, but when would I add the juniper?
4) Best beer style for this batch? I'm thinking Porter

Sounds really tasty to me. What does the collective internet think?

Sounds great, but Porter isn't what I thought you were going to say. Rogue makes a Juniper Pale Ale (used to be called Yellow Snow Ale...) and they also make an Imperial IPA version of it. I like it quite a lot.

That being said, I have no idea what sagebrush tastes like!!

I made a Juniper Pale Ale for a Christmas party last year. I simply soaked an oz of Juniper berries in a enough cheap vodka to cover the berries for 2 days. Then simply dumped the whole thing into the secondary. It worked fine. The beer turned out very good but next time I'd cut the amount of juniper berries used in half as while it aged the juniper flavor overpowered all of the other flavors in the beer.

I'd guess if your making a porter though an OZ would be about right. I would also guess that you could sanitize the sage in the same manner as I did with the juniper berries

Being from the land of juniper and sagebrush I have to say lol.
On the other hand I really like gin, and I imagine the juniper twang would really complement a high AA hop.

I live in Reno and I love this idea!

I'm a pretty new brewer but I was thinking about how to incorporate sagebrush in my beer as well. (I love the Icky they brew at the Great Basin because the aroma reminds me of riding on my motorcycle through the desert) If you are making a porter, what about smoking your barley with it?

I could be wrong, but doesnt sanitation no longer become a problem if your beer is over 5.4%? I've read different opinions of this, but maybe it won't even be a problem.

Still, I have to agree with Picobrew, I would have assumed this was going in a pale ale or IPA. Although, I think he was wrong about the Rogue beers though. The Juniper Pale Ale and the Yellow Snow are two different beers. The Yellow Snow is an IPA.

Whatever you do please make sure to let us know, and most importantly how it tastes!

I live in the eastern sierra (Bishop, CA). The only local brewery I know about is the Mammoth Brewing Co. They make the 395 IPA, which definitely has juniper flavors. You can try finding a clone or getting some, and trying to duplicate it. I've only had it once, but I really like the stuff. Plenty of flavor.

Although, I think he was wrong about the Rogue beers though. The Juniper Pale Ale and the Yellow Snow are two different beers. The Yellow Snow is an IPA.

The Juniper Pale used to be called "Yellow Snow Ale", not Yellow Snow IPA. I am not sure if yellow Snow IPA has Juniper in it or not. I have a tap handle from the old "Yellow Snow Ale", which is definitely not an IPA, I used to serve at my short-lived pub.

Thanks for the advice everybody. A pale ale is starting to sound like the way to go! I looked at the Rogue site (thanks for the links mcjake) and there is a rather odd grain bill... I think I'll make my own. But I really like the hops used, Golding and Amarillo.

So I'm thinking APA with 0.5 oz juniper and 0.25 oz sagebrush, soaked in cheap vodka for a week, added to the secondary. Going to keep the IBUs on the higher end for the style.

I don't know when I'll be able to get to this. Finals are in three weeks or so; possibly make the day after a brew day celebration. When it comes time, I'll keep you all updated

The grain bill is odd because Rogue likes using lots of specialty grains.

Still, it sounds like you are on to something that could be really good. Good luck with the brew and on your finals.

WOO!! So on Saturday I'm going to be brewing a 10 gallon batch of my "Teddy Roosevelt's BULLY! All-American Pale Ale." I know, it's a f***ing mouthful so it's just "BULLY!" for short (as in "I say, Barnaby, it's such a lovely day I think I'll brew a delightful beverage. BULLY!")

Going to be brewing it at work actually, on campus of the good ol' University of Nevada (GO PACK!) 5 gallons is going to the boss who chipped in for the grain bill and the other 5 is going to me.

I think I'm going to make 2.5 gallons of that the "Brew of the Sierras." I actually just have a question not regarding special ales:

- I was planning on boiling 8.5 gallons in a 40qt pot and adding water. I've already done the calculations and my O.G will be coming out the same once I have 10 gallons. The question is, if my LHBS doesn't have anti-foam is there any substitution? I'd much rather get more into my brewpot without worrying about a MASSIVE amount of liquid hot breaking all over the burners. Is temperature/flame control enough?

Back