Brew Masters on Discovery w/ Sam Calagione

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll take any type of brewing show over another friggin show about anything Alaska anyday (especially if it has anything to do with that idiot Palin).
lol that's a "+" for you, dude!
BTW, did anyone really seriously expect this to be a TV show about how much Crystal 60 they put in their stout or what kind of sparge they use, or their mash/water ratio???.

BTW, did anyone really seriously expected this to be a TV show about how much Crystal 60 they put in their stout or what kind of sparge they use, or their mash/water ratio???.

Yes. I was hoping for the truth on HSA, autolysis, glass v. plastic, and dry v. liquid. :D

This might be a dumb question, but how do they avoid "green" tasting beer with such little (if any) conditioning time?

Of course the show wasn't exactly like most of us would want it to be, but I'd much rather watch a dumbed down show about microbrew than any other show about crab fisherman or truckers any day. I'll be tuning in next Sunday.

TB

...I'll take any type of brewing show over another friggin show about anything Alaska anyday (especially if it has anything to do with that idiot Palin).

Not a surprising reaction for any level headed beer geek.

TB

another blow to bmc, i liked the show and i hope it inspires more people to try different beers. the rap was cool but making a video was corny but oh well. drank an olde school while i watched. I wish Sam would pick me out a crowd to try his beer cause he knew about my "hardcore beer pallet"

I enjoyed the show and it was entertaining. I would like to see some more technical aspects added into the show so I could learn something. I can't really pass judgement seeing as this was the pilot episode so it makes sense to have a "welcoming-warmer" attitude.

I was entertained but like a few others here I'm not sure about the rest of the episodes. I give it 3 episodes max before there's some sort of artificial drama. Shows like that drive me nuts and I was hoping this was more of a documentary. I figured with a name like brewmasters (plural) it was going to highlight more than just DFH. I thought the rap was funny but annoying, and hoped for more brewing process information. The beer history show had more information for the average viewer than this show did.

If the show really is going to be about him traveling the world finding interesting ingredients and pushing the boundaries of beer like he's known for, then I look forward to future episodes.

I've never had any of their beer, but I like tv shows and brewing, so of course I was anticipating the show. It was an OK show I think. I really dont care about some silly singing or "being cool" or what have you. I did find the ingredients interesting when they listed them. The mixing of two already brewed beers was an odd thing. The final brew seemed a million shades lighter than the test brew, but I suppose it worked well enough.

I'm not sure how they can sustain a show from one brewery. I thought they played it out pretty well in the one episode.

I was disappointed with the show. I'm not interested in watching him rap or hug everyone that walks through the door. I guess I was hoping for more "process" but that wouldn't make a hit show.

I paid more attention to stuff going on that they didn't talk about. Overall I found the show to be a disappointment. BrewmasterS?? All I see is a series that amounts to being an infomercial for Dogfish Head. A goofy one at that, like, aren't we just a bunch of zany brewers driving around in an old truck... The interior of the truck was modded, but the exterior left "rustic," i.e. all for looks, just like the show.

Yes. I was hoping for the truth on HSA, autolysis, glass v. plastic, and dry v. liquid. :D

did you see them spray that hot wort into the boil kettle :).. HSA busted.

im just wondering if they put that bitches brew in a secondary before they kegged it?:p

[First time poster/longtime homebrewer]

I'm surprised at the negativity towards this show. I would think that any bigtime beer fans would be super psyched to see a show completely related to one of your biggest passions finally make it on the air.

Especially when its pretty decent.

I DVR'd it and am about to watch it again!

Go Beer!

This might be a dumb question, but how do they avoid "green" tasting beer with such little (if any) conditioning time?

By pitching at proper rates, oxygenating, temperature control and filtering.

As to the show, I'm not going to make an effort to watch it again. If it's on it's on, and it's up against American Top gear... which also left a lot to be desired.

Sorry Sam, it's not a show for beer geeks thats for sure. I like the beer, but this was hardly about beer. I would have liked to sit in on the recipe formulation for bitches brew. Get everyone's thoughts on why they went with what.

I enjoyed it a lot. I can understand that there were some cheesy things thrown in like the rap video and all the joking around, but remember, they are trying to market this to the general public, not just beer geeks. Its still really cool to see what they are doing and get a peek inside their day to day production. I just hope this helps turn more people on to craft beers and helps the small brewery industry as a whole.

I didn't like the show. But I did like the truck. Of course, I'm kind of partial.

P1220477 by chilort, on Flickr

I loved the old Dodge Sweptline even if had a utiline bed on it. And if his top speed is 58mph he's got the wrong engine. I just finished the rebuild on my 440 in March and still don't know the top speed.

And if his top speed is 58mph he's got the wrong engine. I just finished the rebuild on my 440 in March and still don't know the top speed.

His engine might not be a rebuild, nor a 440. Who knows, maybe the timing is off, or the carbs run rich, or any result of age. Judging from the outward appearance of his truck versus yours, his engine probably doesn't have the same amount of detail in it.

Nice truck, by the way.

TB

His engine might not be a rebuild, nor a 440. Who knows, maybe the timing is off, or the carbs run rich, or any result of age. Judging from the outward appearance of his truck versus yours, his engine probably doesn't have the same amount of detail in it.

Nice truck, by the way.

TB

Thanks. It went faster than 58 before I rebuilt it too, right up until I broke the crank that is. :tank:

I'll keep watching the show, not just for the truck, but maybe we'll see what kind of stuff they come up with. As someone who tries a lot of gluten free brewing for my wife I'd sure like to know some tricks.

That guy rubs me the wrong way; he is trying too hard to be cool. Drives a rusted out Dodge and rocks out Rolex.

Agreed. I think his beer sucks too so he really doesn't have much going for him.

Love it. BMC sucks because they are mainstream; and Dogfish, Sam Adams, and Sierra Nevada suck because they are small guys who have almost made it mainstream.

We just can't be happy now, can we? ;)

:mug:

Love it. BMC sucks because they are mainstream; and Dogfish, Sam Adams, and Sierra Nevada suck because they are small guys who have almost made it mainstream.

We just can't be happy now, can we? ;)

:mug:

I really don't appreciate his beer. I wish he would just concentrate on making a good beer rather than trying to be ridiculous.

By your over simplified logic, Stone should begin to suck soon. :mug:

Weak show..not really that impressed, Like the beer 90 min\60min\Brown ale, and others but this show is ....Weak, I will probably watch future episodes, but for the most part im not sold on it. Thank god Micro brew is getting out to where its not just the snobs drinking good beer. Lets just hope this doesn't turn into American chopper and the OCC Idiots.

That's correct, I don't enjoy it. I have had all of their minuted IPA's. I prefer much more late addition hops. I think by continually adding hops, too much gets added early.

So what were you, or are you, expecting from the show?

You seem like several of the disgruntled people on this thread - upset that some upstart dude had been successful with competing with the BMC's of the world.

Just curious.

You seem like several of the disgruntled people on this thread - upset that some upstart dude had been successful with competing with the BMC's of the world.

Just curious.

not upset with the upstart dude, good for him....why is there a show on discovery channel about it tho?..its a big stretch to make interesting episodes..
good luck to him ( I don't think he'll need it) his marketing is doing him just fine.

Just curious.

I just hate the fact that the only reason DFH went main stream is because Sam is good at being a media whore and not at making good beer.

They showed a guy working. Nobody jokes around with their coworkers to make the time go faster at work? That's all they were doing. They probably have more means than most people. I thought the rap was kind of lame but they were entertaining themselves. As for whether or not the beer is good, it is all a matter of preference.

I bet there were plenty of watchers that found the snippets of "brewing science" way out of their ability to comprehend.... and they are probably telling their friends, "man, that show was way to technical...I thought it would be more about drinking beer and less about how they make it."

+1 yeah i thought it was a good balance, looking forward to the spit beer next week.

I think it's a confirmation that craft beer and homebrewing in general is stepping into the mainstream. I remember 3 years ago when I said, "I brewed" people looked at me like I had a dick on my nose. Now when I say I brew beer, most people ask, "Oh? what kind?" or, "Really? That's neat, I have heard that is starting to become the norm."

The more this "hobby" becomes popular the more we will see advances in the technology and the diversity in the recipes. I think it's a good thing.

And I thought the show was right for the target audience. Middle of the road. For me it was just entertaining. If you expected more you need to hit youtube for your tech fix. This was just for the layman wannabe wishIcould brew crowd.

Back