Brew Magic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I own one and like it very much. Have been brewing on it for 4 years. That said - it very much depends on your goals.

I went with the V350MS because of repeatability and the ability to maintain mash temps without direct fire - I wanted to brew and not engineer/troubleshoot a DIY system. Many people will point out that there is a premium price associated (often rudely :) ), but with the quality of the engineering and reliability, it has been worth the extra $$ for me. I also find that many people expect the Brew Magic to be fully automated... and that is not the case, you still man the pumping and heating processes. There have been some engineering changes to the system recently that allow for a more traditional whirlpool - and allowing for the use of pellet hops, and ease some of the other quirks. V350MS is still designed as a turnkey commercial pilot system: that doesn't necessarily translate to a "Better" system than another. I would buy the system again, if I had to - or build a fully Electric Brewery.

Most of the 3 tier systems I see offered are direct fire have a simple pumping mechanism and allow for more customization. Targeted toward homebrewing, those systems can save significant moneys over a fully pre-engineered system.

Do you just home brew?

I am getting serious into the hobby and want a solid system that can do 5-14 gallons at a given time.

Thanks!

Yeah, I just home brew. I do dream of brewing professionally some day. Not sure I am ready for the cut in pay required :) or the risks of stepping out on my own.

12 gallons is really the limit in the boil kettle. You need the room for boil off, unless you want to top up in the fermenter. I haven't tried that - but the option is there. I typically do 10.5 or 11 gallon batches, depending on which fermenter I am using. 10.5 into my conical leaves right at 10 gallons by the time I dump trub, etc. I seem to have a higher loss when fermenting in buckets trying to rack clear beer. You may wish to do some research on RIMS systems... there are pros and cons, and a little bit of a learning curve.

Don't forget that you will need a chiller of some fashion, where other systems that might be included. I would also suggest a dedicated space... it takes up about the room of a large motorcycle. Some of the Top Tier systems, while taller, have less footprint.

The hope is that if I decide to go professional, I can use the Brew Magic as the pilot system. I cannot imagine running a business only off the Brew Magic however.

What kind of fermentor do you use?
What chiller system do you use?

I have been using buckets thus far but want to upgrade. Im just really in a toss up of the Magic Brew or a nice Top Tier system by Blichmann. Just so many options.

I have two of the Brew Magic fermenters, a More Beer Conical with temp control and a couple of Speidel 15 gallon fermenters. The conical is for ales/lagers, the rest for Belgians ( I love saisons, etc.).

I got the Brew Magic fermenters, the Brew Magic and the ChillWizard in a bundle.

You may want to figure in costs of fermenters and temp control into your decision. FYI - love my conical.

Check in your local HB club... I bet there are a variety of systems you could test brew on.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back