Brew Kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MashStirBrew

Reaction score
Noob here. Here is what i'm ordering for my equipment kithttp://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=6875.

It’s the intermediate kit from Midwest. I have looked at most of the online brew shops and this, by far, seems to be the best bang for the buck.
Along with that I have a chiller I still need to make, bottles, enameled 30qt turkey fryer pot/burner, and a 62deg basement waiting to ferment some ale. I plan on picking up some other supplies like some one step and a bottle/carboy jet from the LHBS but there kit price is way overpriced, about 35% over. Any additions I am overlooking.

I plan on starting with their Fat Tire clone (in homage of introducing me to beer with taste), and their raspberry ale with puree rather than extract. I also plan on adding some flaked wheat to the grain bags on both.
What do ya think? :tank:

Sounds ambitious for a first couple of brews but I say go for it! I am not familiar with the flaked wheat in a bag technique. I do know that when added directly it can get a little gummy. But what the hell, discovery is half the fun.

That equipment kit looks very good. I would suggest buy at least one more airlock. That way you can have one bucket plus both carboys active at once. You could also buy another lid and airlock and use the bottling bucket to ferment in.

Good luck.

I bought that very same kit. It's a great investment ;) FatTire was my first brew as well! Good luck with your new found obsession.

Good choice, that is the kit I started with plus a few other items. I did get my better bottles ported with the racking adapters and high flow valves. I also got both buckets ported with spigots and the tops setup for air locks so I could use them for fermentors and bottling buckets and I never have to siphon.

I'm set up about the same.

I'd suggest a yeast starter kit if you plan to use liquid yeast.

Thank you guys. I think I will upgrade to the ported bottles. I think I will regret it down the road if I don't.

treehouse said:
I am not familiar with the flaked wheat in a bag technique. I do know that when added directly it can get a little gummy. But what the hell, discovery is half the fun.

I'm not sure about when to add it or even if I should add it. But i'm looking for good head retention and am still researching it a bit. I just figured the grain bag would be the place??? I can't wait to get started!!

Yup, I got the same equipment kit orderd Friday :rockin: now for the wait ! I started with the honey hef they have and upgared the yeast. Hope to have it by next weekend to start. Also will be picking up what was suggested here too when i go to my lhbs.

I would go with the one from Midwest Supply. I think you will like the two Better Bottles. For the difference in price you an probably make an immersion chiller which you don't need until you do full boils. I have a two-handled capper and works fine (it does help to have a third hand to hold the bottle).

I think I want the glass. Something deep down says its better to use glass than plastic.

kingjam said:
I think I want the glass. Something deep down says its better to use glass than plastic.

Better Bottle says they are better than glass. But, whatever you want to use it doesn't matter. If you go with glass, I would use the kit that Wizza posted above.

Midwest Better Bottle intermediate kit with racking port and the Fat Tire clone is on its way!!!
Just hope I get it before the weekend!!!!!!!!!!!HAPPY EASTER TO ME!!!:)

I don't know if this suggestion helps but I got an intermediate kit and I just finished my first batch. I told myself I would start adding and upgrading when I had made six batches just so I know I am going to stick with the hobby.

The chiller (after reading posts here) I think I am going to make myself because it seems cool to me to design and build as much of my kit/brewery as I can, but that's just me.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

The shipping is the same on both the glass and BB from midwest Why is that??

kingjam said:
The shipping is the same on both the glass and BB from midwest Why is that??

Probably to do with the size, but I could have added a beer kit or some other goodies to the order for the subtracted weight. Not too concerned as none of the other brewshops have kits with better bottles.

cormi3r said:
The chiller (after reading posts here) I think I am going to make myself because it seems cool to me to design and build as much of my kit/brewery as I can, but that's just me.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

I have 50' of copper ready to build my chiller. Cost me $18 from a friend.

A 50' chiller is $80 from Midwest.

uhlee1 said:
Noob here. Here is what i'm ordering for my equipment kithttp://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=6875.

It’s the intermediate kit from Midwest. I have looked at most of the online brew shops and this, by far, seems to be the best bang for the buck.
Along with that I have a chiller I still need to make, bottles, enameled 30qt turkey fryer pot/burner, and a 62deg basement waiting to ferment some ale. I plan on picking up some other supplies like some one step and a bottle/carboy jet from the LHBS but there kit price is way overpriced, about 35% over. Any additions I am overlooking.

I plan on starting with their Fat Tire clone (in homage of introducing me to beer with taste), and their raspberry ale with puree rather than extract. I also plan on adding some flaked wheat to the grain bags on both.
What do ya think? :tank:

Isn't it a pain, with the myriad of equipment options and vendors, to figure out what you're buying from where? I ended up getting my stuff a week ago from morebeer out of cali. Free shipping on orders more than $59. Prices are pretty good and No I'm not a double secret morebeer agent.:cross:

Back