Brew Kettle Shopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p00j2620

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am working on the last 2 pieces of my all grain setup. I am looking for a kettle and a gas burner. Do you guys know of any places that sell these as a bundle besides the turkey fryers. Looking for SS kettle. Would like a thermometer built in as well. I saw some nice kettles on Amazon and some cheap burners. Anyone have any of those bayou burners?

The Bayou SQ14 and similar burners are popular and about $50 shipped on amazon. This particular model will accommodate a large kettle or keggle. I would avoid the high BTU jet burners.
The biggest thing to consider is the kettle size, 8-10 gal kettle for 5 gallon all grain batches and 15 gallon kettle or keggle for 10 gallon batches.
Stainless is nice, but I use one of the heavy duty aluminum stock pots. They are easy to modify to add valves, thermometer, sight glass, etc.

The Bayou SQ14 and similar burners are popular and about $50 shipped on amazon. This particular model will accommodate a large kettle or keggle. I would avoid the high BTU jet burners.
The biggest thing to consider is the kettle size, 8-10 gal kettle for 5 gallon all grain batches and 15 gallon kettle or keggle for 10 gallon batches.
Stainless is nice, but I use one of the heavy duty aluminum stock pots. They are easy to modify to add valves, thermometer, sight glass, etc.

+1 here. Wish I had gotten a larger aluminum stock pot for the higher gravity brews.

I just upgraded yesterday to a 15 gallon aluminum pot from a Bayou 30 quart setup. I drilled it for a valve in no time flat (except I'm OCD so I spent a lot of time measuring and remeasuring), and I've got a bulkhead and valve coming from Bargain Fittings. Whole project was $115. For $10 more I could have gone for the 20 gallon pot, but I couldn't really justify it at this stage.

Check your local restaurant supply shop, it pays to avoid shipping costs for big things like kettles.

I was thinking 32qt-40qt because I defintiely plan on doing some high gravity brews. The aluminums are definitely cheaper. Are they pretty darn sturdy?

Also, what do you guys do about hop additions. I was thinking about installing a braided hose if I do it myself. I used a braided hose for my 10gal coleman mash tun, and everyone seems to say they work well. trying decide if I should modify, buy one already done, or give BIAB a try.

I was thinking 32qt-40qt because I defintiely plan on doing some high gravity brews. The aluminums are definitely cheaper. Are they pretty darn sturdy?

Depends on which pot you get. The Bayou Classic turkey fryer pots are quite thin (though they're stainless, at least mine is). My new aluminum pot is 2mm in the body, and has a 4mm reinforced rim. It's plenty sturdy.

Also, what do you guys do about hop additions. I was thinking about installing a braided hose if I do it myself. I used a braided hose for my 10gal coleman mash tun, and everyone seems to say they work well. trying decide if I should modify, buy one already done, or give BIAB a try.

I'm pondering this as well. If I was lazy I'd just install a bazooka screen, but my cheapness has me thinking I'll just rig up a hop spider with a paint strainer bag. I'm also trying to decide how to install a dip tube that works with whatever I decide. I'm thinking about an automotive fuel filter screen. . . .

I cut a Budweiser keg in half. It works great. Makes a 7.5 gallon pot. It also fits perfect on my bayou classic burner. That's an imperial blond I started last Sunday on the back deck.

image-2173178178.jpg

Back