Brew II

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian

Reaction score
Well we brewed our second batch tonight. 5 Gallons of very very black Dry Irish Stout. It was also a double batch as my "beer mentor" came over and brewed a batch of Belgian Abbey Ale. We braved quite a downpour that began about halfway through the boils.

before this we bottled the first batch (Belgian White) and got 45.5 bottles out of it.

I might post more pics of this one, but like a first child, this batch didn't get nearly as many pics. . .

~~EDIT~~ I thought I'd mention that we remembered to check the gravity this time. The "Rainy Day" stout measured in at 1.068 and Dave's Belgian Abbey Ale measured in at 1.065. These are probably gonna be some strong beers!

ian - you and me are pretty much on the same schedule. I'm brewing up my second batch right now - a hefe...

Although i was able to open up my first couple bottles today as we bottled last week...

Good luck. Love the name!

Nice, just curious, how did that beer do with only a week to carb and condition?

Oh, I looked at your labels after seeing your post in the thread about labels and I think they look pretty good! I like the second one best myself.

The first batch is awesome... It will be interesting to compare the same recipe when I have a carboy to do a secondary ferment. Should be better after a few more days in the bottle to condition a bit more.

Also got a hydrometer reading on the hefe, 1.049, right on the mark.

"Rainday Stout" took a while to begin fermenting (well much longer than our first batch) but its going nicely now. It took about 36 hrs before I noticed a nice bubbling. Its now roiling like a blender and giving off a "pleasing" odor.

Yay, Beer!

Back