Brew Hut Raising Weekend - 4/25

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nwcw2001 said:
Just from a professioal cook's perspective, I would keep it flat and paint it high gloss. Textured walls are hard to keep clean, expecially in a place where sprays and splashes happen. Smooth is easy to wipe done

Just my $.02

John
I agree if cleaning is to be done on the walls. You won't see many textured walls inbathrooms or kitchens for this reason.

Knockdown/textured walls are a good quick finish if you don't want to have to do mudding, but nwcw2001 is right - it's a major PITA to both clean and repaint later.

BTW Edwort, I must say that your brew shack is in my top 5 HBT DIY along with Yuri's steam brewing, Brewpastor's Altar, JohnBeere's walk-in and either Bobby's chiller/FLyGuy's MLT/Yuri's Fermenter.

It's friggin awesome and I hope I make my way to Austin someday to see it. :mug:

FRP paneling (literally means Fire Retardant panel) is standard in my mind (in the kitchen part anyway). It's cheap, It's Plastic, and it's fire retardant. You can clean it with a towel, or a pressure washer.

+1 on the top of the list. I'm still working on getting SWMBO somewhere inside to park her car let clear alone the thought of a remote man Hut!

BigKahuna said:
FRP paneling (literally means Fire Retardant panel) is standard in my mind (in the kitchen part anyway). It's cheap, It's Plastic, and it's fire retardant. You can clean it with a towel, or a pressure washer.

+1 on the top of the list. I'm still working on getting SWMBO somewhere inside to park her car let clear alone the thought of a remote man Hut!

I was thinking the same thing..

Fiberglass reinforced panels are what you see in bathrooms of gas stations, 7-11's, some medical applications. I used to rep the product a few years ago. The main product was about .70 / sq. ft. plus adhesive and trims. the advantage is that you could actually hose out areas if you wanted. Up to you.

by the way, I'm green with envy. You'll have one of the best brew/man caves I've seen. Enjoy!

I have 3 comments:

Are you sure it's big enough?
Are you going to have room for a pool table in there?
I would have built it twice as big.... and it would still be too small ;)

EdWort said:
All right. I'll run an extra pipe with RG59 coax and 2 Cat6 lines out there. I'm sure I'll find some use for them. Thanks for the nudge.

I hadn't thought of it until recently while working on making a brewing space in my own garage, but I bet there's some digital thermometers that could be wired through the lines to displays in the house. :) Then I could check temperatures with a glance from inside the house.

My first wireless router wouldn't reach very well out to my detached garage (it's about 40' from house), so I almost used a line to add another wireless spot out there, but before I did I ended up buying a new wireless setup and it works fine in the garage.

I'm envious of your dedicated space. I'm converting garage space, but won't be able to insulate or really close it off, so it will still be a building I have to use as a garage, shop, etc.

Are you running satellite TV out there? I think I have a spare reciever. If you need one, drop me a PM and I'll check.

wow, I got to catch up on the 9-9-9 thread and this one this morning.....

Ed, everyone has already said it, but that's sweet man!

Ed, you're becoming a household name in my family with all your cool stuff and recipes I'm always sharing with them

That is fantastic!

After looking at John Beere's walk in cooler thread, I am wondering about the insulation for my cold room in the brewhaus.

I have an opportunity to pick up about 30 sheets of R-Matte 3 plus some cut sheets for about 200 bucks. After looking at the R-value, it looks like I would be better off with insulation batting and just a few sheets of this stuff.

Any comments on insulation materials for a cold room with one exterial wall? Thanks.

Batting is always much more bang in R value than foam board.

Stud dimensions will be the limiting factor . For 2x6 the standard R value is 19.
To make it super efficiant why not use batts and glue the foam boards to the studs?If you are drywalling either glue to the foam or use long drywall or decking screws. In your case this will stop alot of the heat tranfer from the stud to the drywall/cold to the warm outside wall. I did this in my home as the walls are only 2x4's

Since the entire brewhaus is 2x4, would it be good to do the entire inside with batting between studs, followed by the foam board, then sheet rock or paneling?

EdWort said:
Since the entire brewhaus is 2x4, would it be good to do the entire inside with batting between studs, followed by the foam board, then sheet rock or paneling?

Yes.

That what I did In my house as it was built in 1954 it had no insulation. As I gutted each room I used the R-15 owens corning batts then the pro pink 1/2 R-3 board with all seams taped followed with 1/2 drywall. What a differance in the house. Even though it was less than a 2x6 R-19 wall I dont have any transfer of the cold or heat thru the studs.

Only because you will be brewing out there, but also as an additional bit of insulation, you may want to consider 5/8" fire rated sheetrock. Just in case.

sigmund said:
Only because you will be brewing out there, but also as an additional bit of insulation, you may want to consider 5/8" fire rated sheetrock. Just in case.

Is that fireproof? I was thinking about some kind of shielding for the walls from the brew rig. Perhaps some flashing tacked to the wall at the burner height.

I picked up my rigid insulation boards. Should be enough to do the inside along with batting between the studs.

R-MaxFoamSheets.jpg

sigmund said:
EdWort said:
Is that fireproof? I was thinking about some kind of shielding for the walls from the brew rig. Perhaps some flashing tacked to the wall at the burner height.

Its not fireproof just more resistant to fire than 1/2. Around here you have to use it in a built in or attached garage.

If you want to add some shielding just take anything non combustible like tile board or metal and attach it to the wall with an airspace of about 1 inch between it and the sheetrock. Any thing can be used to shim the fire shield away I have done it with the little metal sleeves/bushings that HD sells in the hardware dept and some long screws. You just need air movement behind the shield

springer said:
Any thing can be used to shim the fire shield away I have done it with the little metal sleeves/bushings that HD sells in the hardware dept and some long screws. You just need air movement behind the shield

Sweet! I'll be adding a metal shield that way then. Thanks for the tip.

Chad said:
I'm curious about the space in the rafters. Will it all be insulated or are you planning on using any of it for storage?

I'll have an access panel to it, but I doubt I will store anything up there. It will be hotter than hot. I will insulate it big time.

Wow! That is fantastic! Are you sure you had enough tall guys on the job, though? I would have felt like a first grader at the senior prom if I were around there.

TL

Liquidicem said:
Show what's the plan for this weekend?

so this weekend, I'll be working on....

Finishing the OSB siding.
Putting on a Tyveck Wrap
Putting on the Smart Panel siding
Putting on the soffit with soffit vents.
Install breaker box
Install electrical outlets and temporary lighting.

Then begins the fun stuff with the roof, like facia, metal drip edge, felt paper, starter shingles, ridge vent, then shingles. I have a roofer in the neighborhood who I think will help me there.

TexLaw said:
Wow! That is fantastic! Are you sure you had enough tall guys on the job, though? I would have felt like a first grader at the senior prom if I were around there.

Thanks, folks of all sizes come in handy on a project like this. I felt small around Rafter Man. :D

My dad and brother and I built the homes my parents live in. He had the outer 2x6 wall framing and also an inner set of framing that had the studs staggered at opposing intervals to the outer wall. The walls ended up being about a foot thick with the outer sheathing and the inner sheetrock. It was easy to insulate, and the inner wall held in the insulation for the outer wall nicely on it's own. I don't know if it's in the cards for you, but the dual wall thing also helps prevent the heat transfer via the studs.

I hope you have a great weekend with lots of progress!

I took a construction trades class in high school and spent 2 hours a day building a house from the foundation up. We completed every single aspect of the house, then had things like electrical and plumbing inspected. It was great fun! The house we built was "Super Insulated" it had 12" wall cavities as well, with Tyvek wrap on the outside, 2 layes of batts in the walls, and 24" of blowin insulation in the attic. Biggest issue with this house was venting it to the outside, as it was airtight.

Whoo Hoo, WiFi works in the Brewhaus. I'm typing this while in there. Not much of a signal, but that can be fixed.

Hopleaf said:
Ed, you're becoming a household name in my family with all your cool stuff and recipes I'm always sharing with them

That is fantastic!
SWMBO just found out today that I didn't actually know you in person. The way I talk about things "Ed Said" this and "Ed Did" That....It wasn't until she asked if we could go see the Brew Haus this weekend that she realized that you live 800 miles away, and we've never met.

Guess I should get a bit of a life.

I have a few neighbors here who are excellent builders ... I an inspired by your story, and please post plans when you can ... 12 x 20 does it for me ! Will you do your lagering etc out there ? You needed electric also, right ? Be sure to let us see the final product !

Can't wait to see the pic updates from this weekend. I got 2 kegs today and cut the tops out and was happy with that! I can't imagine the satisfaction you're getting out of building a brew haus!

Today, my neighbor came by late this morning to help out for a few hours. Check this guy out Yuri. Talking about hanging on the edge.

BrewhausBuild20.jpg

We finished putting up all the OSB siding all around. One of my Shed Books mentioned about putting roofing paper around the corners, so we did that too.

BrewhausBuild21.jpg

After we got the OSB siding up and finished attaching all the rafter hurricane tie downs, we started with the TyVek sheeting.

BrewhausBuild22.jpg

BrewhausBuild23.jpg

Back