Brew Dogs thoughts/opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyCarHasAbs

Reaction score
I just recently discovered the show on Esquire from a colleague. I for one am addicted. So much so it may just get in the way of NHL season haha.

I wanted to hear everyone's thoughts and opinions on what they think of the show.

I just saw 2 episodes the other day. They were in LA and NOLA.

I thought it was kind of entertaining. I liked the LA episode more. It kind of had an Iron Chef feel to it because of the secret ingredients. I think is watch it more if that was the actual format of the show, but I'll probably still watch it when I notice it.

I have watched both seasons so far and I like the show. The humor is great and the beer styles they come up with and bring back to life are awesome (i.e. Golden Stout, and the Petterman). The second season started out corney but hey it's tv.

Smoke signals

It's OK, I'm all for supporting my Scottish brethren, but it can be a little cheesey sometimes, and I feel the premise of doing wacky things around the brew might get a little tired. Good novelty value though.

Check out Brew Masters if you can (it's on Netflix) - following Sam Calagione from Dogfish Head and various beer making missions. I liked that a lot better. Just personal preference, mind.

and on the next episode, we brew while skydiving!
and on the next episode, we brew in a shark tank!
and on the next ...

That's about how I feel about it. I initially liked the show and thought it gave a good spotlight on the process. After watching a number of episodes, I kind of lost interest. They are going a little over the top for me, to the point where it's gotten irritating.

As long as it continues to educate folks, I'm all for it though. Kudos to them for adding some new programming to choose from.

I REALLY want to like it, since they're trying to be the Top Gear of brewing. But it just doesn't work -- simply too outlandish. I truly can't stand it.

Check out Brew Masters if you can (it's on Netflix) - following Sam Calagione from Dogfish Head and various beer making missions. I liked that a lot better. Just personal preference, mind.

Had no idea such a thing existed on Netflix. I know what I'm doing tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think I caught a commercial that the Esquire channel has an app now where all their programming is available - maybe check into that?

I watched a few episodes of their first season, and had all the rest of the season queued up on the DVR when it crapped the bed. I've watched all the second season (well, I'm halfway through the finale), and while the brews themselves can get gimmicky, I've enjoyed the humor they inject into the show, and getting a look at the various beer cities they visit has been cool. I do wish they'd get a little more variety into the locales though - fully a quarter of this season was spent in California, for crying out loud! Hit up Washington and Oregon, or Michigan, or Vermont - some amazing breweries to check out in those areas, rather than retreading California 3x or Colorado 2x in a 12 episode series.

it's ok, i'm all for supporting my scottish brethren, but it can be a little cheesey sometimes, and i feel the premise of doing wacky things around the brew might get a little tired. Good novelty value though.

Check out brew masters if you can (it's on netflix) - following sam calagione from dogfish head and various beer making missions. I liked that a lot better. Just personal preference, mind.

+1

It's OK, I'm all for supporting my Scottish brethren, but it can be a little cheesey sometimes, and I feel the premise of doing wacky things around the brew might get a little tired. Good novelty value though.

I concur.

i like the show. I think they realize they are doing stupid stunts for TV, but still try to produce a quality beer. The one question i have is how they shoot / film it.

After brewing the batch for TV, do they leave for 2-3 weeks (or more) while it ferments/carbs and then come back for the tasting segment or does the brewery they are visiting really brew the batch using the ingredients they want in advance (which is then used at the tasting) and the crap they do for the show is just for TV and not the 'real' batch they taste?

Pretty rad that they highlighted homebrewing and the Maltose Falcons for the last show.

Any beer related show gets a vote from me. The show is scripted in a manner similar to an article you would find in a magazine (Esquire) which makes sense given the channel it's on. Just like the Guinness Beer Documentary from the National Geographic Channel is focused more on history and detail versus looking flashy and edgy. I prefer the documentary approach but the plus side to Brew Dogs is that you get to hear from pro brewers and it is a more relaxed environment where they can be themselves. It seems to bring out their passion a bit more than a simple interview.

I like the show, purely for the entertainment of it. Sure it's gimmicky but so are a lot of shows on TV. My guess on timing the brews is they go film the brew part at several locations then do a second round just doing the tasting.

I've watched each episode over the last two seasons. I do like the show. I especially like the "top 5" breweries and bars in the city that being highlighted each week. However, I'm yet to pick up any new brewing techniques so for me it’s just entertainment.

I love the show, but I wish there was more time spent on the brewing process. I'd like to know how much of which ingredients that they use. I keep asking myself "I wonder how many/how much of that they used"

Go Wings!

i like the show. I think they realize they are doing stupid stunts for TV, but still try to produce a quality beer. The one question i have is how they shoot / film it.

After brewing the batch for TV, do they leave for 2-3 weeks (or more) while it ferments/carbs and then come back for the tasting segment or does the brewery they are visiting really brew the batch using the ingredients they want in advance (which is then used at the tasting) and the crap they do for the show is just for TV and not the 'real' batch they taste?

At the end of the brew they usually say "Now to let it sit for 2 weeks and come back"

I love the show. I don't like the beers they make on it. But I love many of the beer myths they bust. Like blindfolding two ladies and having them identify the "dark" beer. And other stuff like that.

I thought that the LA homebrewer face off was pretty cool. Kinda like an amateur homebrew knife fight competition. It was great seeing them showcase the two homebrewers on their equipment as opposed to just their own wild and wacky antics. They dragged them along for the ride, and I'm sure they enjoyed every second of it!

The avocado was lame though. It's like doing an iron chef episode and providing a tire iron as the secret ingredient.

One of the homebrewers involved in the LA episode did an AMA over on reddit/r/homebrewing:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewing/comments/2etzdm/i_am_an_award_winning_homebrewer_and_one_of_the/

I like the show pretty well. I like that they don't totally dumb down the brewing process.

Hey any show that focuses on awesome craft beers gets my vote! I love the show. Only beef I have is they haven't done an episode in Michigan yet!

Sent from my iPhone

They were here in town (Louisville) last week filming and we went to the tasting/reveal. Afterwards we were chatting with Martin and I asked him about this. He said generally the local brewer does all the brewing about 6 weeks before they even come to town, so the beer is ready when they get to town to film. I guess the "brewing" they do in the episode is just for show.

The beer is ready when they get to town to film. I guess the "brewing" they do in the episode is just for show.

I am prone to believe this because no matter how good of a brewer you are, using that rig of theirs while bouncing around on the back of a hump back whale is bound to produce some less than stellar results and the size of it would be hard pressed to please a thirsty crowd.

The show is predictable because it's brewing, it's what we know and do. It's the character of the hosts that keep it interesting, if not the material. That said, not every hop need be described as "piney, citrusy, and resinous;" do they not have access to a thesaurus? Gahh! Lulz

Latest posts

Back