Brew Day snafu, start or starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceetar

Reaction score
Was planning on a single brew day today. I brew at my parents place for space issues, so I asked my mother to smash my yeast packets before I got here. Unfortunately she also hit the packet for the beer I want to brew next Saturday.

Think it'll be okay if I mix up some sort of starter and leave it in the fridge for a week? (I've never done a starter to this point) Or should I try to brew both beers concurrently. I brew on a stove, and I have another kettle, it's just smaller, but I feel like this amount of juggling might be a mistake.

Any thoughts?

Just put the smack pack back in the fridge until you are ready to make the starter. It should be fine there.

I'm thinking you could just put the smack pack back in the fridge until you want to use it. The little guys will just take a nap. But you'll definitely want to make a starter before you use it.

I'm thinking you could just put the smack pack back in the fridge until you want to use it. The little guys will just take a nap. But you'll definitely want to make a starter before you use it.

You think so? I figured with the yeast nutrients or whatever's in there would probably explode, guess not if the refrigerator is stays cold enough?

Was planning on a single brew day today. I brew at my parents place for space issues, so I asked my mother to smash my yeast packets before I got here. Unfortunately she also hit the packet for the beer I want to brew next Saturday.

Think it'll be okay if I mix up some sort of starter and leave it in the fridge for a week? (I've never done a starter to this point) Or should I try to brew both beers concurrently. I brew on a stove, and I have another kettle, it's just smaller, but I feel like this amount of juggling might be a mistake.

Any thoughts?

Starters are always recommended. That said, I have put off making a starter for several days (maybe even a week) after smacking the pack and never had an issue. I don't put it back in the fridge after I smack it, either. I make big starters, 3-4L, and typically overshoot the recommended cell count in BeerSmith

To take it even further, I bought an old pack of yeast at the LHBS for a discount and was worried that it might not have enough yeast so I added a smack pack of the same yeast that I had activated and left at room temp FOR SEVERAL MONTHS. Not sure if the old pack added much viable yeast, but it smelled good (just like a fresh one) when I opened it and it didn't hurt the beer one bit.

You think so? I figured with the yeast nutrients or whatever's in there would probably explode, guess not if the refrigerator is stays cold enough?

The pack will not explode no matter how long you leave it out. I have tested this (read: been too lazy to use it) for months and months. The packs just stay puffy but don't get rock hard or explode.

Starters are always recommended. That said, I have put off making a starter for several days (maybe even a week) after smacking the pack and never had an issue. I don't put it back in the fridge after I smack it, either. I make big starters, 3-4L, and typically overshoot the recommended cell count in BeerSmith

To take it even further, I bought an old pack of yeast at the LHBS for a discount and was worried that it might not have enough yeast so I added a smack pack of the same yeast that I had activated and left at room temp FOR SEVERAL MONTHS. Not sure if the old pack added much viable yeast, but it smelled good (just like a fresh one) when I opened it and it didn't hurt the beer one bit.

Thanks. I was worried it'd get all explodey if I just left it.

I know starters are generally recommended, but it's tough for me since I brew 35 miles away from where I live (and $25 in tolls) One of the sacrifices I make, and I haven't really had any problems.

Hmm, I wonder if I could mix up a little extract and water now, and ask my mother to just combine them a day or two before..

I have a feeling that Wyeast, given they know how much fermentable material is in those things, know exactly how puffy they will get and have them made to meet that specification and then some. They don't want to sell a product that explodes.

Back