Brew Day. Have a question before starting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhoenixCoyote

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Getting back into brewing. My new starter kit came in. Was getting ready to brew just now but noticed something. While cleaning the fermentor bucket and lid, i noticed there is no rubber gasket seal thing in the lid. In the past there was. Every time i try to put the lid on it does not lock. I can easily take it off. This is not good right? I was told some lids come with that and some dont. I am thinking mine should have one. Thanks

Don't worry. Just means gas will leak out there as well as the air lock. You might not see much airlock activity. I have only one lid w/a gasket, but all the rest to SNAP on pretty tight. Be sure you are pressing hard all around the lid.

Don't worry. Just means gas will leak out there as well as the air lock. You might not see much airlock activity. I have only one lid w/a gasket, but all the rest to SNAP on pretty tight. Be sure you are pressing hard all around the lid.

Thanks. This is definitely not a snap on lid. Been trying. It just loosely sits there. I thought maybe bacteria will get in there. I can put a brick on top of it lol. I also got a big mouth bubbler in my order. Will use that instead. Never used one before. Thasnks.

Hi Guys,
Getting back into brewing. My new starter kit came in. Was getting ready to brew just now but noticed something. While cleaning the fermentor bucket and lid, i noticed there is no rubber gasket seal thing in the lid. In the past there was. Every time i try to put the lid on it does not lock. I can easily take it off. This is not good right? I was told some lids come with that and some dont. I am thinking mine should have one. Thanks

I have some buckets that I have to lean pretty hard on one side of the lid to get it started and then work my way around to seat it fully. Most of them seal very good without a gasket. They are also very hard to reopen. Other than not being able to see bubbles in the airlock there is no need for a good seal as the excess CO2 has to get out somewhere anyway.

Back