Brew Day Emergency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhamBreak

Reaction score
So apparently i ordered the wrong amount of base grain. I just discovered as i was mashing in that i'm 2 lbs. short on my english 2 row.

I'm making an Ordinary Bitter, and I have 6lbs of Marris Otter instead of 8. The other grain amounts were correct. Only 8oz. of 120L Crystal and 4oz. of Special Roast.

I figure i've got 2 options. I can either make less beer or make up the gravity with some Light DME that i've got.

What would you do? I've got an hour to make up my mind. lol

Thanks guys! That's kind of what i was thinking.
I think i was looking at the extract version of the recipe when i made my order. :(

Depends on how okay you are with a quarter less beer as a result of your efforts.

But throwing in a pound or so of DME to make up the difference isn't going to affect the beer too badly. With some brands you might not notice any difference at all.

I know it's a day later, but could he have just gone ahead with it and it would have been a smaller beer like a 60/70/80 Shilling Scottish Ale is pretty much the same ingredients with differing base grain amounts?

Back