Brew day + Bottling Day = Very Efficient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KAMMEE

Reaction score
I've never tried this before, but I wanted to bottle quickly and brew another 5 gallon batch of extract brew in the same day not only to save time but to keep the pipeline full. I developed a Red Ale recipe that I could pitch onto the existing yeast cake from my English Mild. This procedure was really simple and the amount of time it took to brew + bottle was pretty much the same as it takes me to brew. I've never pitched on a yeast cake before, but based on what I've learned here, its a good idea to affix a blow off tube due to the number of yeast cells in the cake that can cause very quick and explosive fermentation.

I had a yeast cake from my English Mild that I could use for this which used Nottingham yeast (I know, its cheap and I could have just purchased another sachet, but this was a time saver due to the fact that I didn't have to sanitize my fermenter and ultimately saved me $1.50 by pitching on the yeast cake).

I found that the time savings comes on the sanitation side, because I spend so much time sanitizing for bottling and brewing, that when combined, this works very well and creates efficiency. I loaded my rinsed bottles and loaded them into the dishwasher in order to sanitize them before I left for work in the morning. Then, when I got home, I put water on the stove for the boil, and a separate pot for the corn sugar needed for bottling. After the water got to heat, I started steeping my grains, and was able to sanitize my equipment, drain, rinse and prep my bottling area while the grains were steeping. I siphoned to the bottling bucket and covered both the fermenter and the bottling bucket with aluminum foil. Then I added the extract and hops, and once the hot break calmed down I started to bottle and finished capping before the wort had to be chilled. I cleaned up the bottling equipment, chilled the wort, pitched onto the yeast cake and airated for a couple minutes with a wire whisk. Its only four hours after I finished brewing and my blow-off tube is bubbling away.

If you're thinking of saving some time, this is an excellent way to double duty brewing and bottling.

Didn't read your entire post...too long...me no patience! Anyway, I typically brew two batches or one batch and bottle/keg/transfer others on the same day. Your point is well taken...multi-tasking adds only a fraction of the time (two batches does not take twice as long) as opposed to one batch at a time! Learned that trick long ago...good for you!

Cheers!

I try to combine brewing with racking or racking with bottling.

I'll be racking the cyser tonight and then brewing the Export.

I've been doing this the last 2 weekends. Bottle then brew. Only adds about an hour to my brew day.

I've done four back-to-back batches to utilize the yeast cake. While it takes a little extra planning to avoid off flavors from being introduced, I found it to go real smooth and the fermentation starts a lot quicker with a 5g size starter. One day when I buy my conicals, I'll be grabbing yeast to reuses a lot easier.

I think I took this to the next level...

I brewed, racked a brown ale to 4 lbs of berries.... racked a triple to secondary for bulk aging, harvested the triple yeast... and bottle two batches

Back