Brew day begins

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No eggs in it. A chocolate eggcream is an old soda fountain drink. Made with with Milk, U-Bet chocolate suryup and carbonated water. I had an eggcream stout by Jonous Bronk's Brewery in the Bronx NY. Just trying to clone it. I am going to add the U-Bet after fermentation, or as the primming sugar. I hope it works......

No eggs in it. A chocolate eggcream is an old soda fountain drink. Made with with Milk, U-Bet chocolate suryup and carbonated water. I had an eggcream stout by Jonous Bronk's Brewery in the Bronx NY. Just trying to clone it. I am going to add the U-Bet after fermentation, or as the primming sugar. I hope it works......

I love eggs, so even if you added them it would not bother me one bit! :cross:

The recipe sounds good, keep us updated when you get it bottled. Off topic, have you been to Bronx Brewery?

I have not been there. Note, Jones Bronk's Brewery is not the Bronx brewery to my knowledge. But I my be wrong. I will have to look into that. I found his at a tasting in Manhattan this last fall. After it is in the keg I will post a tasting result.

What a fun idea! Did you contact the brewery about how they make it? I would add the U-bet in after fermentation, or just as its slowing down. Hard to know how much sugar is in it to prime accurately.

I have not been there. Note, Jones Bronk's Brewery is not the Bronx brewery to my knowledge. But I my be wrong. I will have to look into that. I found his at a tasting in Manhattan this last fall. After it is in the keg I will post a tasting result.

No, it definitely isn't the same...it just so happens that the owner of the Bronx Brewery live(d) in my neighborhood and gave me some if their beers...their pale ale was insanely good...all of them were actually.

Daksin, I tried to reach the owner,(he did give me his card,) but no response. I plane to add the U-Bet when I rack it to the keg. The syrup comes with sugar during Passover and with fructose other times. Mine has sugar. I am going to have it use the sugar to prime naturally before I put on co2. and hope for the best. I will post tasting notes on this when it is done.

Biscuits,
I agree about Bronx's Pale ale, real good. I have not tried others. I see you made a clone, how did it come out?

Biscuits,
I agree about Bronx's Pale ale, real good. I have not tried others. I see you made a clone, how did it come out?

HAHA, as you can also see, I flubbed it. The beer is still pretty good. I don't know if you've had Lagunita's Sucks, but it came out very similar to that, minus the hop character. So, I am not at all disappointed.

I fixed the recipe and am going to give it another shot. On the original attempt, I neglected to take into account SRM and when I did I could see my grain bill was very far off.

I have not had Lagunita's Sucks but, their Little Sumpin' Sumpin' is quite good. Good luck on the next try.:mug:

An update on the chocolate egg cream stout. I primed the keg with the U-Bet chocolate one and half weeks ago. I guess their was more sugar than I expected, I cooled the keg in the kezzer, pulled the PRV to release the pressure, it was way over carbed. It sounded like a shot gun going off. I hooked up the gas set it to 11# and poured a glass of foam. degassed again, set gas to 5#, not as foamy. I let it settle down and gave it a taste, not bad, some what green, but I think I have an Imperial Stout, with a hint of chocolate. Not the egg cream taste I was looking for. My son and I still liked it and hope in time it will get better. When I get more U-Bet chocolate, I want to try putting a touch of it in the pint and pour on to it. We will see.

Latest posts

Back