Brew day before leaving on vacation....yes or no?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fotomatt1

Reaction score
So the only day I've had free to brew in quite a while is tomorrow, and I leave on vacation on Sunday. Just curious what everybody's thoughts are on leaving for 10 days eight at the beginning of fermentation? Is this a horrible idea? Should I just wait another two weeks? Any input is appreciated.

so long as you have good temp controls, id go for it, what's the worst that happens?

+1 to this. If you have a fermentation chamber or even the place you ferment is constant you should be fine!

I did this two summers ago...brewed two days before leaving, pitched the next morning...left for vacation for 7 days came back all was well!

Cheers!

I brewed a day or two before I went on vacation last year, aside from not being able to know what was going on with it, it was fine. I mean, I usually let my beers sit for at least two weeks anyway, so what's the difference?

upon further review...I would rig a blowoff tube instead of an airlock, just in case, but other than that, let it ride

upon further review...I would rig a blowoff tube instead of an airlock, just in case, but other than that, let it ride

I use an old wine fridge as a fermentation chamber and don't have any room inside for a bucket of any consequence to rig a blowoff to. This is my worry.

so long as you have good temp controls, id go for it, what's the worst that happens?

Also, I use a ranco temp control with a thermowell that I keep in a 1L bottle of water, so it keeps the temp pretty accurately. I'm just worried that if fermentation gets insanely active, I could have a flood that would spill out of our basement store room into our newly finished basement. Wife would not be happy. I've never had a mess during fermentation, but I suppose you never know, right?

I use an old wine fridge as a fermentation chamber and don't have any room inside for a bucket of any consequence to rig a blowoff to. This is my worry.

do you normally get blowouts with your airlocks? if not (and brewing a 'normal' beer), no worries. i certainly wouldn't experiment with a barleywine or some other high gravity style for the first time while away from home, unless you have a blow off tube. or if you have only brewed a couple times.

i've personally brewed several beers while on vacation but know my system and feel comfortable in how it performs.

Ive deployed while leaving brew in ferm and aging, not to get R&R for 6 months. Just set it up with blow off and no worries. Get something that will fit in the corners of the fridge, one of those tall bottled water containers, Voss? I think its called, might fit in the corner plus it has a wide opening. Or something similar.

So the only day I've had free to brew in quite a while is tomorrow, and I leave on vacation on Sunday. Just curious what everybody's thoughts are on leaving for 10 days eight at the beginning of fermentation? Is this a horrible idea? Should I just wait another two weeks? Any input is appreciated.

I do this all the time

The only thing I would be cautious of is blowoff, as this happened to me once. I got home with a mess on my hands. Now I insert a blowoff tube if I suspect a heavy fermentation. I guess I can also do a smaller batch, but...nah.....

Go for it

What do your beers usually do during this time?

I wouldn't worry, set the whole thing in the tub if its really that big of a beer or an unfamiliar yeast strain.

I wouldn't worry about it. And as most suggested here, I would try my best to get a blow off tube included.

I don't get how anyone can brew without a blowoff in first week

Even with a blow off I had an issue last week where a couple of hops that made it through the syphon blocked the tube enough to build up some crud in there and the whole thing popped in the fridge - fortunately I caught it just after it happened but it was still a mess

Most brews I do are not ready for an airlock until at least 4 days in the fridge

fwiw, the Spousal Unit and I typically disappear for two weeks twice a year, and I always have something in the pipeline, whether brewed the day before departure or earlier. I always start with 1" ID blow-offs regardless, so that's what gets left when we go. A couple of times I launched 110 point stouts on DDay-1 with no issues.

I can observe and control my fridges and keezer from anywhere with Internet - and if something were to go haywire I have a son within a half hour that can intervene. But that's never happened, everything just keeps chugging along...

Cheers!

I brewed Sunday (yesterday) and will be out of town for the next 6 days. I have my fermenter cooled with a glycol chiller but I have confidence and familiarity with my gear. Worse thing that can happen is a breaker trips and my beer gets hot and probably dumped, but I am gambling that wont happen.

Well....I guess worse than fearing something will go wrong would be I don't have any beer brewing...so that's my logic to move forward.

Can you fit a tall catch vessel in the chamber next to the fermenter. I would suggest a blow off tube, but would risk it if that can't happen. Or a fermenter with large headspace. I use 6 gallon Better Bottles with just over 5 gallons in them. I would estimate 50% give some blow off. You could try Fermcap if you have it or can get some. A 6.5 gallon carboy might not blow, or a 6.5-7+ gallon bucket.

Whatever, I would go for it!

Yeah man, brewing before a trip is the best as you come back to almost ready to keg beer--YMMV.

I ferment 10 gallon batches in a 15 gallon Speidel so blowoffs aren't an issue allowing worry free vacations. Do it!

Same same - I frequently travel for work for a couple of weeks at a time, this is when I am most likely to be brewing or bottling. Especiallllllly bottling as it takes away the worst part, which is waiting.

But getting 2 weeks of fermentation out of the way is great too (and my lovely assistant brewer/wife adjusts my temperature controller for me).

I use a blow off tube anyway as my fridge isn't tall enough to fit an airlock on top, and I use a 30L fermenter and make 23L batches at most, so plenty of headspace, the idea of a fermentation going so crazy it makes a mess is pretty foreign to me.

+1 on just do it.

Back