Brew Calander

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewFrisco

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a calendar for all of the various seasonal / styles? For example - brew xx/xx/xx to have an Octoberfest or Pumpkin Ale ready by xx/xx/xx.

I seem to be late to the dance all of the time. I would like to start planning a more regular brew schedule.

Since it it too late for the Holidays - I am going to plan for early spring. What is a spring style of beer? Belgium Wit?

I'm going to pipe in here and say... I've never worried about what beers are good for what time of year.. (I'm a heretic I know). Mostly because I just scratch whatever itch for whatever flavor of beer I'm having :). Ultimately if you do follow those cycles, and love to do so, I'll bet its great, but for me, I just do what I like. I know a lot of the reasons certain beers were done a certain way was partly because of the lack of ability to do other beers easily at that time etc. They were based around temperatures (winter/summer) around harvest times, etc. We aren't as strictly bound by those limitations nowadays so you can be creative and do what you want a lot more now. Ain't technology grand!. That being said, I don't know of a calendar, but that would be an awesome thing to have for sure!

I have to agree with pompeiisneaks, the only time of the year I try to plan ahead is right now. It's cool here in Las Vegas this time of year so I try to brew a couple of lagers or maybe a bock. Otherwise I brew whatever strikes my fancy.

It's tough I know, but you just need to get in the habit of thinking 6-8 weeks ahead (or more). Assuming you are bottle conditioning. For Christmas I'm brewing in October. For July I'm brewing in april or may. Right now I'm brewing for end of February, beginning of march. Bigger, more complex beers need more time. Lighter, simpler beers need less. Lagers need considerably more time than ales.

While, like others have said, you should brew what you want, you really need to brew now what you want in 6 weeks, which takes a little practice.

Here was my first take at it.

I might change a few dates, now that I know more, but this is a good place to start.

Style When to Brew When to Drink
Bock 1-Jan 31-Mar
Munich Helles/Dunkles 1-Jan 31-Mar
Fruit Beer 1-Jan 21-Jun
Imperial Stout 1-Jan 15-Dec
Stout, Dry 31-Jan 28-Feb
Barley Wine 1-Feb 30-Jan
Porter 1-Feb 28-Feb
Red Ale 1-Feb 28-Feb
Pilsener 1-Feb 30-Apr
Biere de Garde/Saison 1-Feb 31-May
Maibock 1-Feb 31-Aug
Marzen/Oktoberfest 1-Feb 31-Aug
Kolsch 1-Mar 31-Mar
Pale Ale 1-Mar 31-Mar
Lambic 1-Mar 31-May
India Pale Ale 1-Mar 30-Jun
Dunkelweizen 1-Apr 15-May
Festbier 1-Apr 15-Jun
Lager U.S. 1-Apr 30-Jun
Scotch Ale 1-Apr 31-Dec
Old Ale 1-May 30-Sep
Weizen 1-Jun 15-Jul
Belgian White 1-Jun 31-Jul
Weisse, Berliner 1-Jun 31-Jul
Weizenbock 15-Jul 15-Dec
Belgian Strong ale, Trappist 1-Aug 31-Jul
Eisbock 1-Sep 28-Feb
Mild Ale . 1-Sep 30-Sep
Scottish Ale 1-Sep 15-Oct
Brown Ale U.K. 1-Sep 31-Oct
California Common 1-Sep 31-Oct
Smoked Beer 1-Sep 15-Nov
Bitter 1-Oct 15-Nov
Stout, Specialty 1-Oct 30-Nov
Altbier 1-Oct 15-Dec
Extra Special Bitter 1-Oct 15-Dec
Spiced Ale 15-Oct 31-Dec
Brown Ale U.S. 1-Nov 31-Dec
Doppelbock 1-Nov 31-Dec
Dortmunder 1-Nov 31-Dec
Schwarzbier 1-Dec 15-Jan
Mead mid Dec. 15-Dec 15-Dec

Enjoy!

Hope you buy in bulk and have a lot of thirsty friends, thats a lot of beer!

The Schwarz wont be ready that quick, it needs at least 4 weeks to lager, 3 for primary, then 2-4 in the bottle. Thats about 10 weeks from grain to glass. Same with the doppelbock, you should probably lager that badboy for about 6-8 weeks.

My take is to brew a lot of diff styles without paying too much attention to the season. I brewed a couple of winter beers and after drinking them for the whole month I have really been craving hoppy beers lately. So it is nice to have a wide variety on hand

Thanks All...and Merry Christmas too! I generally like all styles of beer - some better than others obviously but I am just looking to be more proactive.

Also trying to be about two ferments ahead. For example, I am polishing off the keg of Punkin right now - and have a Pliny clone in the primary (about to dry-hop) and then I am now a few days into a delicious Oatmeal Stout. As soon as I free up the Primary - I was thinking of a nice Blonde (no pun) and or a Belgium wit.

I brew to the seasons a little bit. Maibock for May, Oktoberfest for late September, Doppelbock for December, Stout for February, Pilsner for June, Wheat for July, etc. I just look at what I want to be drinking well ahead of time. I'm planning my calendar for next year as we speak. The first thing I do is plan out all lagers (since I have limited lagering space) and then I fill the rest with ales. Start with the when you want to drink and then back it up to figure your brew date. I lager doppelbocks for 6 months by the way, not 6-8 weeks. 8 weeks is pretty much a minimum lagering time for a standard beer for me plus 3 weeks primary. Always plan on it taking a little longer that way you are not rushing beers. For more info just search "brew calendar." I haven't been on this website long but I believe this comes up about this time every year.

Back