Brew Buckets Gone Wild!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just thought I'd share my latest project. I bought these Brew Buckets shortly after they were released. While it was nice to have stainless fermenters with a drain valve/dip tube, they fall well short of the benefits of a true conical fermenter (mostly the ability to drain/harvest yeast). I finally pulled the trigger and had a friend of my son cut the tip of the cone out and weld in a tri-clover fitting. It made me nervous as the stainless in these buckets is very thin, but he did a fantastic job. I then picked up some 1 1/4" aluminum square stock to cut some extra long legs. I added plastic feet and the new legs slipped on so snugly that I didn't even need to add any fasteners to hold them in place. I plan to add some silver silicone caulking around the top of the legs to keep water or beer from running down inside. After adding tri-clover 90's and butterfly valves, these babies are essentially 6 1/2 gal conicals. I also added an extra hole to the lids and added stainless thermowells from Brewers Hardware for better temp control with the STC-1000+ controller. I made the legs different to stagger the height so they can sit slightly closer together. They just barely squeeze into my GDM-10 fermentation fridges together. I just brewed the first batch Sunday to ferment in these. It was an 11 gal batch of session IPA that was split and pitched with 2 different yeasts.
:mug:

Here's some pics...

Brew Bucket 1.jpg

Brew Bucket 2.jpg

Brew Bucket 3.jpg

Really slick setup man. Pretty jealous of how you are controlling the temperature. One day ill break free from carboy fermentors and step up my game, cheers

Your friend's son knows how to run a TIG bead. Nice conversion.

Was there much of a cost savings here over the 7 Gal chronical, or did you do it mostly for space savings?

Really slick setup man. Pretty jealous of how you are controlling the temperature. One day ill break free from carboy fermentors and step up my game, cheers

Your friend's son knows how to run a TIG bead. Nice conversion.

Thanks!

Was there much of a cost savings here over the 7 Gal chronical, or did you do it mostly for space savings?

There was a some cost savings, but this wasn't my intention when I bought them (I actually got them before they came out with the Chronicals). After getting my 14.5 gal Stout conicals, I was left wanting more from these buckets. Plus, I don't think there's any way I could fit 2 of the chronicals in one of my fridges together like these, they JUST fit together.

Just thought I'd share my latest project. I bought these Brew Buckets shortly after they were released. While it was nice to have stainless fermenters with a drain valve/dip tube, they fall well short of the benefits of a true conical fermenter (mostly the ability to drain/harvest yeast). I finally pulled the trigger and had a friend of my son cut the tip of the cone out and weld in a tri-clover fitting. It made me nervous as the stainless in these buckets is very thin, but he did a fantastic job. I then picked up some 1 1/4" aluminum square stock to cut some extra long legs. I added plastic feet and the new legs slipped on so snugly that I didn't even need to add any fasteners to hold them in place. I plan to add some silver silicone caulking around the top of the legs to keep water or beer from running down inside. After adding tri-clover 90's and butterfly valves, these babies are essentially 6 1/2 gal conicals. I also added an extra hole to the lids and added stainless thermowells from Brewers Hardware for better temp control with the STC-1000+ controller. I made the legs different to stagger the height so they can sit slightly closer together. They just barely squeeze into my GDM-10 fermentation fridges together. I just brewed the first batch Sunday to ferment in these. It was an 11 gal batch of session IPA that was split and pitched with 2 different yeasts.
:mug:

Here's some pics...

View attachment 344685

View attachment 344686

View attachment 344687

What fridges are those? I use a chest freezer and its a pain to get them in and out. I've seen some of those beverage fridges make the rounds, but they typically have a pretty tight fit. This looks like a nice medium.

Latest posts

Back