Brew Bucket Gasket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

militarymech

Reaction score
Hey all,

I made a batch and had no bubbles from my airlock. Seems the gasket on my bucket lid has died. It's pretty darn flat.

Anyone know where I can get a new gasket? I don't need to buy a whole lid assembly....

TIA

I get buckets and lids from my local bakeries. The local shops that make donuts, cakes, breads, whatever. The buckets and lids are food safe. Some of the stores give them away, some charge a buck. Some with gaskets, some without.

The bubbles in the airlock are only for your benefit. The yeast don't care about them (it's a lot like farting in the bathtub to them) and the beer will ferment just fine without the bubbles. You can get a new gasket and it still may not seal enough to make bubbles. I'd suggest you get a bubble pipe and solution and just blow bubbles when you need to see some.:p

I have multiple buckets that have no gasket in the lid. Some will bubble in the airlock every batch, some never bubble the airlock, and some bubble when they feel like it. They all make beer.

The bubbles in the airlock are only for your benefit. The yeast don't care about them (it's a lot like farting in the bathtub to them) and the beer will ferment just fine without the bubbles. You can get a new gasket and it still may not seal enough to make bubbles. I'd suggest you get a bubble pipe and solution and just blow bubbles when you need to see some.:p

I have multiple buckets that have no gasket in the lid. Some will bubble in the airlock every batch, some never bubble the airlock, and some bubble when they feel like it. They all make beer.

I have an LD Carlson Vintners 7.9 gallon bucket - it has an O-ring gasket. On the batch that's fermenting right now, I forgot to install the gasket. The lid has built-in gaps around the gasket area for prying out the ring. I saw a vinegar fly go up to it and disappear on the second day. I think it might have found one of the recesses and gotten in. That's when I realized I forgot the ring - I installed it, but maybe too late. I'm hoping for the best on this one, but I will try to always remember the ring from now on.

Back