Brew Boss Systems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you getting good/better efficiency with the cofi? Concept is sound but wonder about the dollar per % cost/gain.

I went right from brewing extract to the BrewBoss, so I really don't have a good frame of reference.

I'll let other users chime in on what efficiency they are getting.

Brew Happy!

Are you getting good/better efficiency with the cofi? Concept is sound but wonder about the dollar per % cost/gain.

I get 70% efficiency with the COFI and no sparge. Darin claims you can get 70%-85% efficiency with it. I'm sure if I really cared and messed with the water profile, I would get better.

I don't have anything to compare it to on BIAB, because I never used a bag. Using a false bottom Igloo cooler mash tun and sparging with the same water I got around 73%-77% efficiency.

I have to say the thing I really like about the system is the consistency and quality (of the beer). I dialed the system into Beer Smith, I put the grains etc. into the program and I pretty much do not have to check my gravity or water levels. If I brew 5.5 gallons, it gives me 5.5 gallons in the carboy, with the exact gravity that I want, and half the time that it is brewing I wonder away and do other things and check in on the system or throw in hops. In addition I find with the no sparge in the COFI the quality of my beer has went up, not to mention I can hold a consistent mash temp when it is 15 F outside.

Overall I am very happy with my purchase and I wish I would have bought a Brew Boss sooner than I did.

I use a wilser bag and false bottom in the BB system, I consistently hit 80% efficiency, with using RO water and building a water profile.

Then what mcgimpkins said.

I have to say the thing I really like about the system is the consistency and quality (of the beer). I dialed the system into Beer Smith, I put the grains etc. into the program and I pretty much do not have to check my gravity or water levels. If I brew 5.5 gallons, it gives me 5.5 gallons in the carboy, with the exact gravity that I want, and half the time that it is brewing I wonder away and do other things and check in on the system or throw in hops. In addition I find with the no sparge in the COFI the quality of my beer has went up, not to mention I can hold a consistent mash temp when it is 15 F outside.

Overall I am very happy with my purchase and I wish I would have bought a Brew Boss sooner than I did.

Are you BB users entering every recipe into the system or are you reusing profiles for similar recipes? It seems like a lot of work to enter in Beersmith then turn around and do the same in the BB app.

Are you BB users entering every recipe into the system or are you reusing profiles for similar recipes? It seems like a lot of work to enter in Beersmith then turn around and do the same in the BB app.

I have a separate profile for IPAs, Saisons, Wheats, Stouts/Porters, Pale Ales, etc

I posted mine here. THey are tuned to my system though which includes a pump, plate chiller, and whirlpool arm

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=533633

I like the strategy of using a profile to cut down on the data input. I assume you then manually time hop additions per recipe. I might give the BB another look.

I have a separate profile for IPAs, Saisons, Wheats, Stouts/Porters, Pale Ales, etc

I posted mine here. THey are tuned to my system though which includes a pump, plate chiller, and whirlpool arm

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=533633

That's what I do as well.

It's a simple thing to make changes to the program as you are brewing. Changing the hop add schedule or mash profile is quick and simple and can be done on the fly without messing up the overall process.

Does anyone have the 20G kettle with the COFI filter? Custom designing my own basket and I want to get some dimensions from someone.

One of my favorite recipes is an OG of 1.086 before going into the fermenter for a 5 gallon batch. I believe this equates to approximately 20 lbs. of grain. Can the system handle this? I'm having a hard time trying to determine that due to the amount of water necessary to keep the temp probe and heater under the wort level. I believe the basket can hold that amount of grain but can it do this for a 5 gallon batch in the 15 gallon setup? Would there be enough water?

Does anyone have the 20G kettle with the COFI filter? Custom designing my own basket and I want to get some dimensions from someone.

If you are custom designing a system, you should just go based off of your kettle diameter and whatever fittings take up space inside of the kettle. Leave at least a half inch on all sides.

I'm not custom designing the kettle, just the basket. I bought the 20G BrewBoss kettle. I already have the sizes I want for the basket but I just want to compare those to the COFI to see. The biggest issue is the temp probe from what I can tell. Mine pokes into the kettle about 2". I'm thinking I could reduce that to about 1". Since the kettle is 17.75" inches in width I was thinking of going 16" wide on the basket or possibly 17" with a cutout on the side to clear the temp probe. I think the COFI is 15" but I wanted someone who has one to confirm :)

Thinking something like this:

12x9.38-withcutoutandremovableswinghandle2.jpg

Ah, ok. Well they dimensions are listed on the BB site: http://www.brew-boss.com/product-p/mash-cofi-20.htm

I guess im blind. Totally missed that in the 500 times ive read that page.

Edit: After reading that page I dont think those dimensions are accurate. It's saying the COFI is 22" tall but my kettle is only 21" and the COFI would need to be below the accessory port which sits at 19".

I like the strategy of using a profile to cut down on the data input. I assume you then manually time hop additions per recipe. I might give the BB another look.

I have a 152 60 min mash 15 min mash out and 60 min boil profile setup that I use the most. If I am not mashing at 152 or I am boiling for longer than 60 min I do a quick modify to it to whatever time/temp I am brewing at. I have a couple of other more elaborate multi step mashes profiles that I have made but only use them every once in a while, and I don't usually modify them.

I didn't buy the hop boss. I think it is neat, however I didn't want to deal with the hassle of having to program in hop additions every time I brew. In addition to be quite honest, when brewing I don't find throwing hops in to be a giant hassle.

One of my favorite recipes is an OG of 1.086 before going into the fermenter for a 5 gallon batch. I believe this equates to approximately 20 lbs. of grain. Can the system handle this? I'm having a hard time trying to determine that due to the amount of water necessary to keep the temp probe and heater under the wort level. I believe the basket can hold that amount of grain but can it do this for a 5 gallon batch in the 15 gallon setup? Would there be enough water?

You should be fine. Depending upon your boil off and that large amount of grains you should be using somewhere around 8 to 10 gallons of water with no sparging in the 15 gallon system. You may have to throttle back the recirculating pump, so the mash level does not go below the temp probe. See Darin talk about it:https://youtu.be/9DEjuRk8w0E?t=15m16s

I came up with this little web app to generate the step files for me. I generate the file then copy it to the tablet. Makes it a bit easier to edit.

http://brewingintheburgh.com/brew-boss/index.html

I should mention that it wont work in IE nor do I have any plans to make it work in IE.

For anyone with the BB 20gal COFI.

How is it at making 5, 10 & 15 gal batches? The site FAQ says:

"Q. Can the 20 gallon COFI system do 5 gallon batches?

A. Yes it can! It depends on the recipe. Doing 5 gallon batches in the 20 gallon COFI is possible but the Original Gravity (OG) of the brew will be somewhat limited (about 1.075 max). This is because with high OG brews (high grain weight) there may not be enough water to completely cover the grain bed. See FAQ "How Much Grain Will the System Handle" below for more details. Based on the 20 gallon chart and assuming we want 6 gallons into the fermenter to net us 5 gallons after fermentation, we have a maximum grain weight of about 17 pounds. This equates to about a 1.075 OG at 75% brewhouse efficiency. "

This sounds to good to be true. It would be nice to have the ability to make pretty decent 5gal test batches, still be able to make some pretty big 10gal and still be able to do 15 gal batches of a everyday beer.
I have a keg I was going to use as a keggle but I could use it in my keezer.

After reading that page I dont think those dimensions are accurate. It's saying the COFI is 22" tall but my kettle is only 21" and the COFI would need to be below the accessory port which sits at 19".

Hmmm, that's a good point. the 20 gallon kettle dimensions on the site say 21.25 inches high. Must be a mistake or old info that wasn't updated. I'm sure Darin could enlighten you.

Thanks for the updates on the profiles. The automation sounds interesting but I'm not sure it is for me.

1) This comes down to just setting up my garage for electric brewing. What's the best way to get power to my electric system in my garage? I've read posts about a spa panels. My house's breaker panel is in the garage very near to wear I usually brew. Why would I set up a spa panel vs. just putting a breaker in my existing breaker box (if there's room)? What benefit is there to a spa panel?

2) I'm new to BIAB but committed to changing to it due to wanting to save time in my brew day and simplicity. Is this COFI system really worth the extra cost or am I just as well off using a bag and recirculating?

thanks for the help?:mug:

So I saw someone on here talk about being able to do 5 gallon batches with the 20 gallon cofi system. Is this correct? I was told the only way to do 5 gallon batches with the 20 gallon brew-boss was to do it with a bag. The brew-boss is the system I want for my electric brewery and I want the 20 gallon version for the freedom to do larger gravity 10 gallon batches with the option for 15 gallon but I would also like to be able to do 5 at times. I have no problem getting the bag version over the cofi if it gives me that freedom but would rather have the cofi if it works with 5 gallon batches.

1) This comes down to just setting up my garage for electric brewing. What's the best way to get power to my electric system in my garage? I've read posts about a spa panels. My house's breaker panel is in the garage very near to wear I usually brew. Why would I set up a spa panel vs. just putting a breaker in my existing breaker box (if there's room)? What benefit is there to a spa panel?

2) I'm new to BIAB but committed to changing to it due to wanting to save time in my brew day and simplicity. Is this COFI system really worth the extra cost or am I just as well off using a bag and recirculating?

Bump. Any comments? Thanks.:mug:

Bump. Any comments? Thanks.:mug:

I urge you to go on the BB website and email the developer, Darin. He's been great at getting back quickly with straight answers.

The COFI is handy, but not absolutely necessary in my book. If cost is an issue, you can do without and add it later. I'd just be cautious about the bag coming into contact with the heating element but that's no different that a regular BIAB issue.

Being that the panel is right where you want to brew I'd go with the gfci breaker. That's what I did and while it was a little more expensive it was worth it to me

Beav, You need to have a GFI, don't even think about mixing liquid and 220 electricity without it. You need to have plug in a convenient location for brewing. You need to keep you cords to the Brew Boss as short as possible for line loss. After this, it comes down to price. When i was looking, It was cheaper to buy the spa panel at Home Depot rather than using the 220 GFI breaker, why? I don't know. What I ended up doing was finding the marine GFI breaker that Brew Boss sells, I was lucky to find one cheap.

I already had a 240v outlet in my garage for my wife's kiln, so I just ended up buying an in-line GFCI from here: http://www.gfcistore.com/30-amp-inline-gfcis.html

I guess it is more expensive ($134) than a Spa panel, however I like it as it makes my Brew Boss portable. I can take it over to a buddies house and brew on top of his dryer, if I want or need too.

I already had a 240v outlet in my garage for my wife's kiln, so I just ended up buying an in-line GFCI from here: http://www.gfcistore.com/30-amp-inline-gfcis.html

I guess it is more expensive ($134) than a Spa panel, however I like it as it makes my Brew Boss portable. I can take it over to a buddies house and brew on top of his dryer, if I want or need too.

That is exactly what I did with my Electric Brewery. I had all kinds of problems with the GFI breaker in the power center (main box).
Any dust gets in them, and it causes them to trip. In my case, a tripped breaker means I lose my timer, and the whole batch becomes a random disaster.

Brew Boss doesn't have an anode in it, does it? I guess it's not necessary bc the element is stainless, right?

I had all kinds of problems with the GFI breaker in the power center (main box). Any dust gets in them, and it causes them to trip.
I don't see how dust could have been the cause of the breaker tripping, something else must have been going on. These are molded case breakers, completely sealed. Dust should not and cannot get inside of them.

There should be no reliability concerns with going the route of a GFCI breaker in the main panel.

I sure hope that's the case. I went the gfci breaker route with my wiring and a relay switch box. Haven't brewed on it yet though.

I don't see how dust could have been the cause of the breaker tripping, something else must have been going on. These are molded case breakers, completely sealed. Dust should not and cannot get inside of them.

There should be no reliability concerns with going the route of a GFCI breaker in the main panel.

The GFI was tripping with NO LOAD wired into it. I replaced the "normal" breaker, bought a sealed "pigtail" type device from GFI.com and I haven't had a bit of trouble...

I've seen on here several times that people contacted Darin at BrewBoss to get some questions answered before ordering. I went on the BrewBoss website but can't find an email address for Darin. Can someone tell me where I can get that email address?

Back