Brett under pressure - has anyone tested this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetcell

Protruding Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
one of those oft-repeated piece of lore is that brett behaves differently under pressure, that it produces different flavors in the bottle or in a pressurized keg, etc.

recently, Chad Yacobson (Crooked Stave) in episode 8 of the Sour Hour stated that he hasn't noticed any difference between brett under pressure and without. in an excellent post on this board, he noted that "I've also noticed that it seems that Brett will spike in activity once some top pressure is placed on it."

has anyone done any experiments that compare brett under pressure to brett without pressure?

next time that i'm bottling with brett, i'll fill one bottle without priming sugar, put an air lock on it, and give it a few months to age out before priming it.

Hmm....I've been toying with this idea myself. My thoughts, are to primary a beer in a single vessel, and split 3ish to a carboy and the other to a 3gal keg, just enough pressure to vent O2 and seal the lid. Give it several months and compare.

Back