Brett Trois fermentation without dedicated equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PHDrunk

Reaction score
I was thinking of doing a beer with WLP644 (saccharomyces "bruxellensis" trois) as the primary strain. I do not have dedicated sour/funky equipment, and I'd like to avoid going down that road (at least for now). I've been reading that WLP644 is not actually a Brett strain, it is in fact Sacch, so I'm wondering if I can get away with using my typical equipment without contamination? What about kegs? Thanks in advance!

Brett is still a yeast. Normal cleaning and sanitation will take care of it. When you need to really worry, is when you start introducing pedio and lacto. Although commercially available lacto strains are pretty sensitive to IBUs over 10.

I've read the same thing you have, that 644 is a sacc. strain, not a true brett b. blend..
but I take that with a grain of salt and still use a dedicated 1 gal jug/ racking equipment.

Just bottled my first gallon this morning so I have little experience so far, but the beer tasted amazing. I'm gonna want to do 5.5 gallons for sure.

Back