Brett claussennii and trois starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oach

Reaction score
Hi All,

Based on the dates on the mason jars, I have some 4 month old "starters" of the above two yeasts. I have kept them at 68 degrees (my understanding that Brett doesn't like it cold). I was thinking of using one or the other for bottling of a sour saison I made a bit over a year ago.

Both jars had a pellicle and, this where my concern comes, had a not so pleasant aroma. My daughter said it smelled like "old mustard" (don't remember which one it was). I have used Brett for over two years but usually either pitch directly or make a starter and use immediately. I don't know if this aroma is normal or the yeast is now bad.

Looking for some input on your experiences. I would hate to ruin a year old beer because of my poor maintenance of the Brett.

Cheers,
Scot

I keep brett in the same way in gallon and half-gallon jugs. No problems so far. Are you just using the regular 2-piece mason jar lids? You might get significant oxygen ingress with those, which would encourage acetobacter. I don't know if that would explain the "old mustard" smell though.

Perhaps you could make a small starter with the brett and see how it tastes/smells after its fermented: then if it is OK, use this starter when you bottle?

I do have the two piece lids and I don't think I screwed them on tightly in case of build of CO2 (been in the jars since I made the starter and forgot about them). That could be it. Maybe it is time to dump them.

I only have some S05 laying around. If I go that route, how much would you or anyone suggest for a 5 gallon batch - 5 grams (think that is about half a packet)? Would that yeast change the profile at all in the bottle?

I think its at least worth trying to make a starter with some of the slurry before you give up on the brett.

For bottling a 5 gallon batch, 5g is overkill: 1-2g should be plenty in my experience. I don't think you need to worry about US-05 altering the flavour profile much, but its possible that it will struggle if the beer is very acidic and/or high in alcohol. Brett or a champagne yeast would be more suited to those conditions.

What is worse case scenario if I use one of these yeasts and they are a bit oxidized (without making a starter)?

I think if there is a large population of acetobacter in the slurry, and enough oxygen in the beer after bottling, you might end up with vinegar.

Back