Brett Cider ”Re-Yeasting” Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Newman

Reaction score
Hello!

This is my first attempt at a sour! I made a wild fermented organic cider and pitched the dregs of a Brett B. Saison from blackberry farms in TN on Oct. 24th. It has formed a pellicle and tastes amazing!

I was talking to my LHBS owner and he suggested I “re-yeast” at bottling. Should I do this? And if so, how should I go about doing this? I have never had to pitch yeast at bottling so I just want to see if anyone has some suggestions on how to go about it!

Thanks!
-Mike

How old is this batch? If it's only a couple months old it definitely does not need added yeast.

To add bottling yeast, just properly rehydrate and add a wine/champagne yeast along with the priming sugar.

See the re-yeasting section here:
http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Packaging

Cheers

Thanks for the reply. The batch started fermenting October 17th and Brett added to primary on the 24th so it’s still pretty young. I kinda thought he might be just trying to get me to buy more stuff, and based on your response I’m leaning towards my gut instinct. Appreciate the link as well.

Brett is a harder bug. I did a brett cider (or rather, apple juice plus harvest from a saison made with 3031), let it sit for about six months, then packaged. Drinking it a year later - tart, dry, mildly funky, with lovely carbonation. Dropped crystal clear. You don't need to re-yeast at two months. I would let it sit longer - brett likes to take its time. Let it sit in primary and chew through the dregs.

Back