Brett and Spanish cider split batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max_Chavez

Reaction score
In the quest for reproducing weird, dry ciders, here's what we're doing today.
2x 3gal batches, both 85% local, uv treated cider and 15% untreated crab apple juice(juicer)
Both will have 1/2tsp per gal pectic enzyme

Wyeast 3711 and asturian cider dregs

Stepped up all-brett dregs from crooked stave

We'll see!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412297079.369099.jpg

Since we had a bit extra cider, we decided to make a gal that we'll probably dry hop or may need to use for topping up, later.

Anyone else throwing interesting yeasts in there?
Cheers!

Not i.
The LHBS around here don't even carry a good supply of dry yeasts let alone a variety of wet.

i've got 3 gallons of 100% brett going on about 5 months in primary now. i tasted it a while ago, and it was good - i expect it to be better by now.

Sweet. How did you pitch the brett in there? A straight commercial culture?
I had two bottles of crooked stave dregs plus 24oz of apple cider going for one week. It smelled awesome.
I also juiced the crab apples whole, so there should have been a good amount of natural yeast on there already.
Everyone's bubbling away this morning!

I found a place nearby that sells unpasteurized cider. Planning to do some wild cider this year. Might split and let some ride with no additional yeast, and add some add'l yeast to others.

I got two small batches going last week. Both were made with unpasteurized cider, apparently from a blend of primarily Ginger Gold w/ Golden Delicious and Red Delicious:
- Wild cider: 1 gallon batch, added only pectic enzyme and yeast nutrient. First signs of any activity at day 3, been slowly bubbling away ever since. OG: 1.056
- 'Frankencyser': 1.5 gallon batch, added pectic, 1.5 lb honey, Lalvin 71B and staggered nutrient additions. Also added a bag of fruit after using it in a melomel (blueberries/raspberries). Not sure what impact the wild yeast/bugs will have over the 71B, if any. OG: 1.080

Anyone else have updates?

I've fermented about a quart of Tree Top apple juice with some sourdough starter that I got from my great aunt (I was trying to culture the yeast, hence the crazy small batch size) and have it bottle conditioning right now. Can't wait to try it. When I tasted it prior to bottling it had a white wine and mild vanilla flavor that was great. I can't wait to do a larger batch of the stuff. :ban:

There might be some brett in there, I don't know.

Drank a good amount of both batches over Thanksgiving. Both are just getting better.
The brett cider has dried out a bit more but definitely continues to get more brett-fruity and aromatic.
The sidra has rounded out and come together a bit more. Hard to describe, but just seems more integrated and a touch less sharp.

After drinking a liter of each while visiting a friend, he pulled out a can of crispin. Holy crap, was that horrible and ten times as sweet as I remembered! I don't even think we finished it.

Back