Breakside IPA Clone attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gSully

Reaction score
Hi everyone - First time poster but have been searching the forums for ages, what an incredible home brew resource! I recently put together this recipe attempt at a Breakside IPA clone. Hops and grain has been obtained from various articles written about the beer as well as transcripts of interviews with Ben Edmunds, Breakside Brewmaster. From the Breakside website, the beer is said to have 6.7% ABV, but I have seen other sources for 6.4%. IBUs are 70 and it is said that Chinook and Citra are the two primary hops. Yeast was unknown but I used Pacman.

Thoughts and critiques would be much appreciated. Please take my efficiency for what they are, I'm still fairly new to the all grain process, and they need some improvements!

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout
Recipe: Breakside IPA Clone v2

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 5.78 gal
Post Boil Volume: 4.78 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 4.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.067 SG
Estimated Color: 7.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 72.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 66.4 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
11 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
10.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
6.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
5.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
0.75 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min
0.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days
1.00 oz Falconers Flight [11.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Hop
1.0 pkg Pacman Yeast - 2L Starter

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 12 lbs 13.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 16.02 qt of water at 173.7 F 152.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 3 steps (Drain mash tun, , 1.66gal, 1.66gal) of 168.0 F water

Yep sure did. Turned out a bit sweeter and not nearly as aggressive on the hop profile. Probably just a byproduct of my techniques but next time I'm going to increase the late addition hops and try to make it way drier. Color was pretty spot on.

All in all, turned out pretty great!

Hey there gSully, thanks for posting your Breakside IPA Clone recipe. Since your last post (results turned out a bit sweeter and needed more late additions...) I wanted to know if you've brewed this one again and what changes you made if any and what were the results.

I'm an all grain brewer working on improving my knowledge through clone brewing and Breakside's IPA is next on my list. Also, I too have been reading the forums but just recently registered as a user. I anticipate sharing more brewing info from my brewing sessions here soon.

Thanks and cheers!

I also Like this IPA. I emailed Breakside awhile back and Ben Edmunds took the time to reply so I will share it here also.
I can't give you the exact recipe, but I can give you some general pointers:

-OG: 1.062, FG: 1.011, ABV: 6.6, IBU: 70, SRM: 8

-Malt bill is mostly 2 row base malt (we use Great Western), with small amounts of Munich and Light Crystal malt.

-We use Columbus hops for two separate bittering charges; Falconers Flight, Citra, and Chinook as late kettle additions. The dry hop is mostly Chinook and Citra.

-Ferment with 001 at 68 deg F.

A few other tips in building a great IPA:

-Keeping oxygen out of finished beer is the single most important thing to maintaining good hop aroma.

-We use traditionally Burtonized water with a sulfate-to-chloride ratio of 10:1 and about 25 ppm Mg.

-Make sure your mash pH is in the 5.3-5.4 range, otherwise you will see very weird hop utilizations and bitterness will be an issue.

-Don't overdo it on the IBUs. 90+ percent of our hops are added in the final 5 minutes of boil or dry hop.

Hope this helps; good luck in your brewing!

-Ben

--

Ben Edmunds, Brewmaster
Breakside Brewery
5821 SE International Way, Milwaukie, OR 97222 (Brewery and Tap Room)
820 NE Dekum, Portland, OR 97211 (Pub Brewery and Restaurant​

I finally had this beer on tap for first time at their pub in Portland last weekend, and I can see why it won gold at GABF. That's also some great info from the brewer, and is in line with what the guy at the bar would tell me about it. I'm only surprised to see that they use "traditionally Burtonized" water -- I didn't think it was that salty and to me the bitterness didn't seem super sharp as if it was really high in sulfates.

Regarding the OP's recipe version, if I were to take a stab at this I'd probably change to 1# Munich and 4 oz each of C60/C20 and little less 2-row. Mash a little lower at 149-150 and use Chico. US-05 with that grist and mash profile should get ~83% AA (at least from my experience). I'd also move all the hops other than the CTZ bittering to 5 min and hop stand additions (and increase as well), and increase the dry-hop to 4-5 oz.

All great info! I have not yet re brewed it, but I am definitely going to tweak it next time per Ben's advice.

I have also not treated my water yet and will be Burtonizing it according to the above.

Also, I'm pretty sure the sweetness and more hops is attributed to my low utilization or oxidation.

I heard breakside uses Scottish ale yeast and gypsum in their IPAs. Gypsum would get closer to Burton water.

For Portland water and Portland to Burton, see here:

http://www.oregonbrewcrew.org/page-1508508

Back