Breaking Bad!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a forum that values DIY, how sweet was the automatic gun build with ratcheting wrenches and a garage door motor. They never showed the AC/DC inverter he'd have had to use to power it, but ffs, it's Walter White. He probably rigged that thing up to run off of John Galt's motor.

Bad ass. Great ending. Not over the top, but very well done. I think Gilligan has more then a little Tarantino influence in his background.

It was kinda ridiculous. They took machina in deus ex machina very literally. All that build-up with the machine gun and it just pops out of the trunk and conveniently hits every extraneous bad guy. I think they should have incorporated the roomba instead, it would have at least been funnier. Hector blowing himself up was far more clever.

It was kinda ridiculous. They took machina in deus ex machina very literally. All that build-up with the machine gun and it just pops out of the trunk and conveniently hits every extraneous bad guy. I think they should have incorporated the roomba instead, it would have at least been funnier. Hector blowing himself up was far more clever.

Sorry it didn't meet your exacting standards. I was able to suspend reality just a shade and assume when he didn't park the car the way the gatekeeper told him too, it was because he was lining up the shot.

He set that thing up to riddle the building with bullets right above belt level. The only ones who survived were the ones who went down early, the rest of the "extraneous" bad guys were all exactly where Walt thought they'd be.

Edit: The entire premise of the series is "kinda ridiculous". That's fiction for ya.

I haven't read this whole thread, but I did watch every episode of BB. Greatest show ever. And although there were some moments where you needed to suspend belief, I thought the ending was brilliant. And my favorite part, which no one has mentioned yet, is that while Walt is walking through the lab, remembering his time as the king of meth, presumably fondly, based on his facial expressions, Badfinger's "Baby Blue" is the song that's playing. That was genius!

I haven't read this whole thread, but I did watch every episode of BB. Greatest show ever. And although there were some moments where you needed to suspend belief, I thought the ending was brilliant. And my favorite part, which no one has mentioned yet, is that while Walt is walking through the lab, remembering his time as the king of meth, presumably fondly, based on his facial expressions, Badfinger's "Baby Blue" is the song that's playing. That was genius!

totally agree

BB was very good with picking songs to fit in the show

earlier this season, they used Crystal Blue Persuasion (Tommy James) and Goin' Down (The Monkees)

I haven't read this whole thread, but I did watch every episode of BB. Greatest show ever

I really struggled with this.....BB is AWESOME! But after careful consideration.......

Battle Star Galactica (2005-2010) is the single greatest TV show ever.

Please feel free to argue. It will fall upon my deaf ears. Thank you.;)

I really struggled with this.....BB is AWESOME! But after careful consideration.......

Battle Star Galactica (2005-2010) is the single greatest TV show ever.

Please feel free to argue. It will fall upon my deaf ears. Thank you.;)

think I would put Breaking Bad at #2, behind Band of Brothers

I have several reasons, but mainly because BoB actually happened

I was hoping for Leon Russell's cover of Dylan's It's all Over Now Baby Blue.

When he picked up the gas mask, looked at it, then put it down, I thought he might do one last cook without protection and go out that way.

Well, I can finally stop avoiding this thread. Just watched the final episode. What a great ride. I'm not gonna bother with a spoiler alert cause if you're looking at this thread and you haven't seen the show then you should know there will be spoilers.

My nitpicks: I hated skylar, pinkman cried way too much, hank squinted angrilly a bit too much, hank's wife was a *******. The crazy Stevia chick was manic and hard to look at.

The positives: Great cinematography (vistas, cam angles, night shots). The chicken pollo king was excellent. The bad guys at the end were particularly good (manacing). Scenes in Mexico were excellent. Music was great. Walt going from good guy to superbad to evil to pathetic was mesmerizing. Pinkmans journey, from pathetic, to courageous, to loser, to hero was excellent.

The two stoners, pinkman's friends, were great and I think they should have their own spinoff.

I did like Saul and if there is a spinoff for him, I'll check it out.

This show was not as good as Sopranos, which I think is the best serial ever of the modern age (M*A*S*H will never be touched for me). Band of Brothers was also superior, but it's in the mini series category, which you can't compare to a serial that has to run over 5 years.

I agree about Pinkman - I never sympathized with him. I always found him an impulsive, impudent, immature, whiny, insolent little punk. I would've been content to see him killed off. I read an interview with Aaron Paul (the actor who plays Jesse), and he described the character as a sympathetic underdog. I was like, "are you nuts? Do you have any inkling of how annoying your own character is?" I don't know if that was a failing of the writers, or a total disconnect of the actor himself, but I did not feel any empathy for Jesse at all. At every opportunity, he sabotaged himself, and never really got his come uppance.

kombat said:
I agree about Pinkman - I never sympathized with him. I always found him an impulsive, impudent, immature, whiny, insolent little punk. I would've been content to see him killed off. I read an interview with Aaron Paul (the actor who plays Jesse), and he described the character as a sympathetic underdog. I was like, "are you nuts? Do you have any inkling of how annoying your own character is?" I don't know if that was a failing of the writers, or a total disconnect of the actor himself, but I did not feel any empathy for Jesse at all. At every opportunity, he sabotaged himself, and never really got his come uppance.

Really? What do you call being locked in a caged an tortured? And to watch so many people around you that you love die?

He was his own worst enemy and he effed himself over so many times, but other people also screwed him over without him even realizing it.

Regardless, I think Paul did a great job with the character.

Really? What do you call being locked in a caged an tortured? And to watch so many people around you that you love die?

He was his own worst enemy and he effed himself over so many times, but other people also screwed him over without him even realizing it.

The only actor that cries more is Amy Adams.

I agree. Kombat keeps calling Paul out of touch with his own character, but it would seem that HE'S the one that lacks insight into Jesse. Without a doubt, most people ended up sympathizing with Jesse, and although nobody's required to do so (disagreement is totally fine, and not everybody is going to relate in the same way), one should still be able to see that a) most people actually did, and b) that this was entirely intended by the writers. The whole point to both halves of season 5 was to foment hatred for the person that Walt became, and sympathy for the person that Jesse became.

My boss just told me in our 1:1 meeting that she thought of me when she watched Breaking Bad. Should I worry?

guess it depends on which part made her think of you...

the chained to his job worker/slave?

the neo-nazis?

the former drug kingpin dying in the lab you created?

the worker most likely to show up to work with an remote-controlled, auto-sweeping M60 in the trunk of your car?

guess it depends on which part made her think of you...

the chained to his job worker/slave?

the neo-nazis?

the former drug kingpin dying in the lab you created?

the worker most likely to show up to work with an remote-controlled, auto-sweeping M60 in the trunk of your car?

^ If those are the options, I'm pretty sure he should be worried. :)

I've never seen the show so I do not understand what you are referring to.
The comment came out of left field.

My boss is a woman.

I've never seen the show so I do not understand what you are referring to.
The comment came out of left field.

My boss is a woman.

I'd want to know what part of the show she was referring to. Or what character you reminded her of.

I'm trying to think of ways that comment could be a good thing and I'm having a hard time...

Or maybe she just thought of you while watching the show because she thought you might like it, haha.

forgot she also played one of Heath Ledger's group in Knight's Tale

MV5BMTAzMTg3NTcxNDleQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU4MDY1MTI1MzAx._V1_.jpg

Oh man, she's Scottish? An accent like that would make her even hotter. Dammit, why couldn't they just keep her accent?

Back