Brasserie St Sylvestrie dregs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BootsyFlanootsy

Reaction score
big shot in the dark here, I realize, but trying to find out if the bottle dregs are the same yeast as their primary strain.

so far, my searches have yielded little to nothing.

my guess is that they probably centrifuge and bottle with a more neutral yeast.

anyway. yeah... consider this a Hail Mary.

Most breweries don't bother with a second strain if they don't need to. Culture it up and see. I think WLP072 is very similar to (if not the same as) what St Sylvestre uses and it is an excellent strain for bottle conditioning, very minimal yeast in bottle and floculates very well, similar to what you find in 3 Monts od Gavroche. WLP072 is unfortunately seasonal and won't be out again for months.

for the most part I agree, but quite a few Belgian and French breweries are known for using a different yeast at bottling.

though I'll agree that WL 072 does seem VERY similar. I made a Vienna malt and rye BDG with 072 and after a month of cold conditioning it was verrrry close to a BSS style beer, though a little "cleaner"

Back