Brand new Sierra Nevada Flipside red IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heard a rumor that tumbler is being discontinued and this is taking its place. Can this be true?? Love me some tumbler.

I picked up a bottle with my weekly mix sixer and found it way too dry for how hoppy it is. Not a bad beer, and it's quaffable but not to my taste.

I like this better than Torpedo by far.

I don't know that 'dry' is the right descriptive term. It has a very rich mouthfeel that implies maltiness, but I don't taste sweetness up front as much as hop flavor. However, it leaves me with residual sweetness that is then accompanied by grapefruit. It's a fairly simple beer, but enough complexity to make it interesting.

I havent got to a beer store yet too try this, I'm hoping too soon though.

Picked up some more for another go-around with this. I was pretty tasty but there are a ton of other beers that I would prefer over this. I'm gonna save the last one to pair with a burger and see if that makes it more to my liking.

I love Torpedo. I love Celbration. And, I love Flipside! I think they're all great beers. Flipside to me, is more of a west coast style American Amber ale. Hoppy, dry and malty.

Love Flipside. I'm glad they changed it up because it's making it clear that retailers have no problem selling last year's Tumbler which is not worth drinking anymore. Chris Gasbarro's Fine Wines in Massachusetts has stacks of Tumbler for sale at full price.

If I can't trust retailers, it's up to the breweries to print dates on bottles.

I'm not a huge fan of Harpoon's but I buy their beer because they print dates. I prefer decent fresh beer over old beer that was once good.

Love Flipside. I'm glad they changed it up because it's making it clear that retailers have no problem selling last year's Tumbler which is not worth drinking anymore. Chris Gasbarro's Fine Wines in Massachusetts has stacks of Tumbler for sale at full price.

If I can't trust retailers, it's up to the breweries to print dates on bottles.

I'm not a huge fan of Harpoon's but I buy their beer because they print dates. I prefer decent fresh beer over old beer that was once good.

Sierra Nevada does date their beers (to the minute they were filled)! Check out this handy PDF to help you figure out what the numbers printed on the bottles mean :)
http://www.cdn.sierranevada.com/sites/default/files/content/wysiwyg/ALL_DATECODES.pdf

Not true. I just checked out all of my Flipside bottles and bottle holders, and not a single one of them has ANY number printed on them.

look closer, it is on the shoulder of the bottle. The black letters can be a bit hard to read against the brown glass but they are there! I promise!

look closer, it is on the shoulder of the bottle. The black letters can be a bit hard to read against the brown glass but they are there! I promise!

Son of a.....

I don't how the hell I missed them. I looked all over the bottle, saw nothing, then took a 2nd inspection upon you saying that, and they're easy to see.

My special eyes!

Sierra Nevada does date their beers (to the minute they were filled)! Check out this handy PDF to help you figure out what the numbers printed on the bottles mean :)
http://www.cdn.sierranevada.com/sites/default/files/content/wysiwyg/ALL_DATECODES.pdf

That is pretty cool, and I won't forget it. Thanks for the info! Though, they could go a step further and make it human readable so that consumers understand it casually without a secret online decoder ring. But seriously, all beer should have a date. If the beer is misrepresented by retailers, it's the brewery that makes a bad impression most of the time, not the retailer, unfortunately.

I remember reading somewhere that SN was doing a split seasonal with Tumbler at the beginning of the season and Flipside at the end. Flipside is great, not that I'd expect anything less from SN. It's my favorite beer of the moment.

Me and a few friends have been through a couple six packs of this -- and we all feel it is excellent.

How does this compare to Bear Republic's Red Rocket?

I remember red rocket being pretty sweet, no? It's been a while since I had it, but the general memory I have is a sweet finish with lots of hop flavor.

Looking forward to trying the SN flipside, I think my brother is bringing me some today.

That is pretty cool, and I won't forget it. Thanks for the info! Though, they could go a step further and make it human readable so that consumers understand it casually without a secret online decoder ring. But seriously, all beer should have a date. If the beer is misrepresented by retailers, it's the brewery that makes a bad impression most of the time, not the retailer, unfortunately.

But the line would be so long if they printed the full date it wouldn't be practical to print on the bottle. Sierra Nevada isnt trying to hide anything here, I am sure they just want all the info if someone calls in and complains about a bottle. This provides the most compact way of telling that story :)

But the line would be so long if they printed the full date it wouldn't be practical to print on the bottle. Sierra Nevada isnt trying to hide anything here, I am sure they just want all the info if someone calls in and complains about a bottle. This provides the most compact way of telling that story :)

I don't think knowing the second it was canned is that important to me. Could sacrifice that for putting in a couple of spaces or dashes. Just the month and the year works.

But yeah, they're definitely not making easy to read on purpose, it makes sense because people can be easily confused.

Honestly I much prefer knowing when it was bottled using a secret decoder ring over when they think I should drink it by in plain text.

Tried it last night, I know most people on here will like this beer, but I don't. It does have a good malt backbone but the overwhelming usage of Centennial made a for a very oil/resiny mouth-feel. Felt like I was drinking Pine-Sol blended with a Red Ale.

I will be the first to admit that I hate Centennial and that biases me. I could see how some people would like this beer, but if you are like me and hate that pine + resin avoid this beer.

I personally love Centennial but did not like Flipside. I don't get much pine from Centennial and think it was the addition of Simcoe that I disliked.

Ive drank about 2 cases of this so far. When I first started homebrewing (mar of this year) I very much disliked anything with high IBU's. Now 7 months later and I cant get enough of flipside, two hearted ale, SN pale ale. im starting to think hops are just pellets of crack in disguise.

I still wish I could get either of these beers. The distributor for Southern California is ABSOLUTELY terrible. I want celebration but know I wont have it for AT least a month. Such a shame...

I enjoyed Flipside. I thought that it was a good tasty beer. I've had better but I have also had much worse. I'm a fan of centennial.

I still wish I could get either of these beers. The distributor for Southern California is ABSOLUTELY terrible. I want celebration but know I wont have it for AT least a month. Such a shame...

Both Albertson's and Vons have it around me.

Had a sixer of Flipside a few weeks ago and thought it was mediocre at best. Needs way more late hops for my tastes.

Tried this a few different times on draft because I wanted to give it a fair shake, but there's something going on with this beer that I just can't get into.

Loved this beer last year and could not wait for it to come out this year. I had my fist bottle of the 2014 batch this weekend and I am convinced that SNB changed the recipe. Seems to have a much roastier and spicier malt flavor. I get a touch of rye on this years batch that is not listed on SNB's description. Not as impressed this year. If they made changes, I can not say that it was for the better.

This beer is awesome. I am not usually known for loving IPAs but this was perfect. There is a creaminess to the mouth feel that is fantastic. Oats?

Latest posts

Back