Brand new Perlicks for 27.99

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuckferrorists

Reaction score
Is this a good deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250220857641&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

I found this on Ebay last night and messaged the guy saying that I wanted to buy 4 but I wanted to buy them for 27.99 a piece and around 10 dollars shipping. I received an email this morning from him saying "Hi, sure I can do that, send your paypal ID and I'll send an invoice for $121.96
Thanks, Nick"

Is this a great price? A good price? or am I getting screwed. Also, does it sound like this transaction will get completed in ebay or outside of ebay. Am I protected by paypal if it's not?

Thanks a bunch.

This looks like a good deal to me. You only asked for $2 off the buy it now and your buying four. The guy has 100% good feedback so I'd say do the deal!!!! Good find I think I'll get one too!!!

Paypal protects buyers from fraud whether it was an ebay item or not. The seller MUST provide delivery confirmation otherwise you can say you never received the items and file a complaint. They bend over backwards for buyers, not sellers.

Bobby_M said:
Paypal protects buyers from fraud whether it was an ebay item or not.

Wow -- absolutely not! I have had exeriences directly with paypal that say they are not responsible. What happens is that Paypal can block the seller from using them and take the money out of their account. If they have no money in their Paypal account and they don't care about selling more items, they are scot free.

This doesn't really apply to this purchase, but I thought I would let you all know my history with them. You really have to watchout for yourself. CYA, as always.

it should still go through ebay. i did the same with bats for my beerball team last year. he tallied it all up, sent me a link through paypal, and still got to leave feedback through ebay.

with 100% feedback on ebay, i wouldnt be too worried.

WHOA.......i didnt read the "send paypal id"part.....dont do this, he should be able to send the link to your email, THROUGH EBAY

Ok, but it seems to me that he doesn't mind extending you the discount since he'd be sidestepping Ebay fees. If you want it to go through Ebay, I think he'll want the full price.

It is true that as long as the seller takes a withdrawel immediately and is prepared to walk away from Paypal forever that they can screw you. It doesn't seem like the case with someone with that kind of Ebay record.

I sent 20 CDs to a guy in Italy. I gave him the option of paying for a more expensive shipping method that had insurance. He declined and I shipped the cheap way. 2 months later he files a reversal with Paypal. I cannot prove that he received them but I sent the emails in that proved he declined insurance and delivery confirmation/tracking. No dice. Since I actually wanted to continue using Paypal (glutten for punishment I suppose), I had to refund the guy $80 and he very well could have gotten them. Nice scam.

Obviously I wouldn't trust a guy with no Ebay or Paypal record.

Thanks for the respones guys. Bobby, I'm trying to recreate your keezer conversion. I bought the same freezer and I'm ready to start getting my other pieces. I watched the video again but was wondering if you could get away with a smaller shank than the 3 inch that you used.

For what its worth.... Paypal has had my back twice on EBAY issues. Once for a DVD burner, they got my money back, and once for a zippo... I bought the zippo for a wedding present, and needed it fast so I could get it ingraved in time...He told me he could deliver in time.... I emailed him a bunch of times, finaly he admitted that he didnt have the lighter at the time of sale, and his shipment was on back order...then started jerking me around... Paypal got my money back....Then about 1.5 months later the lighter came in the mail....Of course I had to buy a different one at full price to get it in time for the wedding :)

At the risk of going back on-topic, I picked up a couple Ventmatics from NB a couple weeks ago. They were the same price ($37?) as the Perlicks, but when I looked around a little bit it appeared to me that the Ventmatic was a nicer faucet--less-pronounced mold lines and better machining inside. I don't remember (and didn't save) the link that showed a direct comparison.

Not having used a lot of taps, I can't say for sure which one holds up longer...but the used cheapo tap that came on our tower was *not* the forward sealing type, and yes, I broke the handle. So from that standpoint, whether you get a Perlick or Ventmatic fwd-sealing you're already way ahead.

The Shirrons are typically $37ish. The Perlicks are $29 at superprod.com. Trust me, the differences aren't all that much. We compared them side by side in our own hands at a brewclub meeting. This variance in internal machining is extremely slight and those pics that were circulating were not indicative of what we saw.

If you can get Shirrons for near $29 each, I'd get them. If not, the Perlicks are great too.

On the 3" shanks. The ones I got have the nipple welded on instead of requiring the tailpiece and nut. The 3" dimension includes the nipple/hose barb so they're not all that big. The threaded section is maybe 1.5".

Latest posts

Back