Brand new meter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarMoeCur

Reaction score
I got a good deal on a new meter look what they sent me. Storage solution completely dried up. Inside is also caked up and bone dry. Now, I got to call them first thing in the morning and let the dick dance begin!

Attachments

• 20210325_173226.jpg
    20210325_173226.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 59
I only recently found out that the bulb needed to be kept in special solution to preserve it, so that would explain why my readings were all over the place at each brew. Have cleaned, hydrated it in the correct fluid recalibrated and then repeated the clean, and preserve fluid and I'm going to see how it goes.

Well here is reply I got.

"Simply rinse the probe in water but dry, then soak it in a small cup or jar with at least 2 inches of either storage solution or tap water. Just because the storage solution is leaked out does not mean the probe is bad or defective. Please be sure the probe tip soak's for a minimum of two hours prior to hooking it up to unit to calibrate. I hope this information has been helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions."

Not sure I agree with it. I have no idea how long it takes storage solution to turn crusty but it can not be good for the probe. At a minimum it has to have shorted the life expectancy of the probe.

AS an update been and looked at my pH meter and found those crystals on the outside of my holder. I'd been told to put the storage fluid on a bit of sponge in the cap then put it back on the probe and store upright.
I pulled the cap off and the sponge was still damp so maybe I overfilled it.
Haven't retested it yet.

No sponge just an empty tube. The bulb had dried crystals all over it. I'm sure it wasn't over filled just completely dried out.

I once had a replacement sensor for my Hach PocketPro+ pH meter show up dry as dust. Tried over a few days to bring it back to spec with prolonged storage solution soaks but it was still tricky to calibrate, definitely not right. Fortunately it was from Hach's web store on Amazon so they had no choice but to replace the replacement. But that experience provoked me to buy an Apera pH60 which is my go-to with the Hach relegated to back-up status. Even with comparable specs (and a nicer UI) the Apera meter was less expensive than the Hach and the replacement sensor module for it is like 1/3rd the price of the Hach...

Cheers!

Although pH sensors are of different kinds and different requirements, I feel important to tell you that the manufacturer of my pH meter asks for a dry long-term storage and a "revival" of the instrument's head with tap water for IIRC 30 minutes, which I always take as 2 hours.

I say this because ultimately tap water dissolves what is sticking on the head (avoid hot water) and I have a hunch that, if you keep the head of the instrument in water for hours, changing the water maybe a couple times, and agitating the instrument from time to time so that the water in contact with the head is not always the same, you will have a perfectly working instrument.

I begin thinking that pH meters are not so far away from each other in technology. Those firms who advice to keep the head in maintenance solution probably do it because the instrument is supposed to be ready to be used, every day, for laboratory work.

Imagine a taxi with an engine which must be turned on two hours before beginning the day work. The instructions of the taxi would tell the owner to keep the engine on for the entire night, because they know the taxi driver wants the taxi ready when the working day begins.

My cheap meter definitely less all over the place since putting in storage medium. Basically was unusable before. So maybe coming back into line ( i hope) .

Well here is reply I got.

"Simply rinse the probe in water but dry, then soak it in a small cup or jar with at least 2 inches of either storage solution or tap water. Just because the storage solution is leaked out does not mean the probe is bad or defective. Please be sure the probe tip soak's for a minimum of two hours prior to hooking it up to unit to calibrate. I hope this information has been helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions."

I would counter that with "Simply provide me with a prepaid shipping label if you want the meter back, and reverse the charge on my account." If they balked at that, I'd dispute the charge. There is a warranty of merchantability on everything sold in the US. What they sent you is clearly not fit for its intended purpose as is, i.e. you shouldn't have to rehab a brand new probe.

BTW, if the well was actually closed and dried up once, it's going to happen every time.

VikeMan, I'm working that exact angle right now. I requested a RMA for damaged item. After some internet research, It sounds like this a common thing for Milwaukee meters. Go to 1:30 into the video. He flat out says your probe maybe bone dry and crystalized but the meter will be fine. Well not exactly those words but close enough. I've always thought that storing a meter dry will shorten the life span of the probe.

My Milwaukee meter was bone dry when I got it. Hydrated it, calibrated it, and it has been spot on for a year. I should probably double check the calibration, but I have been getting consistent readings from the same mash (I’ve been brewing a sequence of IPAs with the same grain bill and different hop/yeast combinations). I’ve been very happy with mine.

Back