Brainstorm - Secondary Addition to Sour/Wild Brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cactusgarrett

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all. Soliciting brainstorm ideas for what to do with a portion of a sour/wild brown I'm nearly ready to package.

I've got a solera going of something very similar to New Belgium's La Folie, and after a year am ready to remove/replace a portion. The larger removed portion (5 gal) I plan on aging a few weeks on red wine-soaked oak. However, where I'm coming up blank is the smaller, 3 gal portion. I'm not a creative person, so would like all your ideas. A lighter, lambic-type beer seems more versatile, but this being a brown or oud bruin-like has me coming up blank.

So far, I've considered dry hopping (unsure with what, though), or adding peaches. Peaches might be a no-go, since it's not peach season in the midwest. Other thoughts?

Can't go wrong with raspberries in a dark sour. The two were made to go together, and frozen raspberries are an easy find anywhere and any time of year. Dry hopping a dark beer sounds interesting, but I wouldn't know where to start. DH a light sour? Amarillo.

Whats the pH? How sour does it taste? Will you need to blend it? All considerations that can alter your path.

Cherries, raspberries would be my first pick w blackberries a nice alternative.

Thanks for all the creative ideas, everyone! Currants and raspberries were leading the pack, but I ended up adding 2lbs of local Balaton cherries to 2gal of the sour, since a friend tossed a large amount into my lap.

It's already somewhat tart, with the shining characteristic already being the brett lambicus. I haven't taken a pH reading, but the FG is at 1.010, which is surprisingly high(er) after a full year of aging. I don't plan on blending, but I'll see what the 8 weeks of aging on the cherries does to it. If anything, i'd blend it back with the 5gal of wine-soaked-oak aged portion.

Latest posts

Back