Brain cramp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabby58

Reaction score
Here is an oh **** moment for the folks out there. Brewing a ten gallon batch today, two 5 gallon buckets full of wort ready for yeast to be pitched. Mind wandered to something in the house, came back out, aerating wort, realize I don't remember if I picked both yeast containers in one, or both buckets. Not sure how to find out. How long should I wait to take gravity reading?

I'm assuming these are 6.5 gallon buckets? If so simple solution may be to pour some of bucket 1 into bucket 2 and then pour some back into bucket 1. Do this multiple times and keep mixing each bucket up and you could assume that there is a proficient amount of yeast present in each batch

^That^ sounds like a plan! :)

A bit over a week ago I swore I had mixed up my carboys and pitched a wy1010 starter (dry American Ale) in a carboy intended to be a Belgian Abbey Ale with a wlp540 starter, and vice versa :smack:

It wasn't until I did a gravity check today and noticed a tiny chunk of orange peel in the batch with the 1010 that I realized I actually got the pitches correct.

Which saved me from having to come up with two new styles of beer :drunk:

Cheers!

I may have got this right after all. I have airlock action in both buckets. One is very vigorous the other not so much, but I have buckets that side by side with everything the same do not have the same action.

Back