braided hose or plastic manifold?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lokiua4

Reaction score
just wondering what the general concensus was on this?which people like better and any pros/cons for either.right now i use the the hose on my 10gal cooler but debating if i want to go with a manifold.another ???? is do you drill holes or cut slits in the manifold and why?

I have a CPVC manifold that I much preferred to the stainless braid that I tried out for a while. I seemed to always stir the braid up into the mash and ended up mangling it pretty good.

I drilled holes in my manifold because I thought it would be more structurally sound that way, and it is very sturdy.

I read somewhere on the wiki that the braid should only be used for batch sparging, whereas the monifolds can be used for both batch and fly sparging.

First batch and second batch part of the braid came up from the bottom of the mash. Next brew I'm sticking about 15 steal clamps I have laying around on it hoping that it will stay more so on the bottom.

CPVC manifold fan here. It floats too, but you can easily push it down into place and allow the grain to settle on top...no issues with that. I went with slots made by hacksaw.

Also, easy to clean and maintain. Use no glue and it's easy to take apart. I think the only way I'd get rid of the CPVC would be when it cracks or fails and needs replaced.

I use a stainless braid. I swipe the paddle on either side of it. I have not had any problems. Works lime a charm. I vorlauf about a hlaf to three quaters a gallon and let 'er rip.

Same here. I have a longer braid, it stayed on the bottom and I even did a wheat for the first brew (I wanted to encounter a stuck sparge 1st off) and everything worked great.

~Diz

I use a CPVC manifold. I haven't tried stainless steel braid, but the manifold is working perfectly and is easy to clean, so no reason to switch. And it cost like $3 to make.

just wondering what the general concensus was on this?which people like better and any pros/cons for either.right now i use the the hose on my 10gal cooler but debating if i want to go with a manifold.another ???? is do you drill holes or cut slits in the manifold and why?

I use a copper manifold with a few hundred 1/16 holes drilled in it for batch sparging. It works really well with no risk of crushing. I could see a plastic manifold of the same design working really well.

I use a copper manifold with a few hundred 1/16 holes drilled in it for batch sparging. It works really well with no risk of crushing. I could see a plastic manifold of the same design working really well.

Oh, right! Crushing! I don't know where'd I saw it, but I put a spiral of stainless steal wire down the center of the braid, and it is more ridgid. It will not collapse. I saw it on some wewbsite. Might be here. Great idea.

Here's a pic of mine, for good measure:

c04bf8d9.jpg

I have a CPVC manifold that I much preferred to the stainless braid that I tried out for a while. I seemed to always stir the braid up into the mash and ended up mangling it pretty good.

I drilled holes in my manifold because I thought it would be more structurally sound that way, and it is very sturdy.

I read somewhere on the wiki that the braid should only be used for batch sparging, whereas the monifolds can be used for both batch and fly sparging.

Quoted for truth. Braids are only good for batch, manifolds can be used for fly sparging if built right, (read Palmer!). My braid always floated a bit, even with a weight on the end, and was easy to crush. My CPVC manifold is awesome, and it "snaps" into the bottom of my cooler so that it never moves.

I use CPVC for batch sparging. No issues with it and it's easy to clean. I would imagine it drains more evenly than a single length of braided as well which could reduce the chance of grain compaction. Never had braided hose though so no experience with them.

Yeah, my problem is that I never had a manifold. I don't actually know which is better. I do know that the braid with the spiral of stainless steel wire has not crushed, nor had it ever stuck (about 10 batches with it). It seems too heavy to float. And I vorlauf about 3/4 of a gallon before it runs clear for me. However, the larger area of the manifold seems like it might have less a chance of getting stuck.

The braid is way cheaper and easier to make. I put a SS spring inside mine because it would crush when I'd brew imperials with like >35 lbs of grain. Now it's rock solid.

I've heard you shoudn't use a braid if you fly sparge though or you will have low efficiency due to channeling of sparge water. But for batch sparging, I love it.

Back