Braid fitting for keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbnpj

Reaction score
We are planning a keggle AG brew for the first time. Our plan is to go with this type of braid in the bottom of the mash tun for filtering...

braid.jpg

My concern is that the drain will be super slow this method. I have seen false bottoms and was thinking that might be a faster route. Also, would this braid affect efficiency more so than a false bottom would?

I use a braid in my cooler mash tun and the wort flows out as fast as if there was just a wide open drain.

The ss braids really work well.

I use a braid in my cooler mash tun and the wort flows out as fast as if there was just a wide open drain.

The ss braids really work well.
agreed; I think you can generally run a braid faster than a false bottom without getting a stuck sparge.

What about doing a large batch in a sanke keggle with a lot of grain on top?

What about doing a large batch in a sanke keggle with a lot of grain on top?
I've never tried that (I use a rectangular cooler); but some people put a little piece of pipe with lots of slots cut into it (or a bunch of holes drilled into it) inside the braid, to keep it from being flattened.

Back