Braggot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmcc75

Reaction score
So I had some ingredients laying about do I decided to make a braggot. For my one gallon batch I used 32oz clover honey, .75lbs light malt extract, some cascade hops at 5min and 0min in boil (I did not boil honey) and red star cote des blancs yeast. This is my first time ever making this style. I wonder about the hops I debated about using them but I figured why not. Anyone have any thoughts, comments, or experience with this style?

Sent from my LG-P870 using Home Brew mobile app

Braggots are good and usually the simpler the better in my experience. Make sure to use stagered nutrient additions to keep the yeast happy in that mead like environment. Just let her rip, rack every couple weeks and when it drops no more sediment prime it with some DME, bottle and let it carb up a little. See what you like about it and decide if you like the hops addition or not. Some like it in braggots and some do not.

Cool thanks for the info. I was thinking about honey for carbonation. For the style how carbed should it be?

Just lightly carbed is all it needs IMO. I don't like priming with honey because honey often puts a haze on the finished product that needs to be cleared again but if fermentation picks up it will not clear until fermentation stops. So invert sugar or DME seem to work better in this case.

I didn't know that honey would do that. Thanks again for the helpful information.

I didn't know that honey would do that. Thanks again for the helpful information.
Not really relevant for braggot, but because of honeys propensity to cause hazes when used for back sweetening (I believe its a protein thing), when making traditionals I stabilise once my ferment has finished, then back sweeten while the batch is still cloudy to a "medium" level 1.010 to 1.015 - as thats where I like my meads.

only then do I think about clearing and the finishing processes so I only have to clear it the once. The protein haze seems to drop out with the yeast sediment quicker/better, whereas batches that have been cleared first, any haze seems to take a longer time.....

maybe a figment of my imagination but that's how it seems to me......

I'm finishing up a stout braggot... would never be able to tell it was made with honey though.

its delicious. I put in coffee, vanilla, and cacao nibs in the secondary. Its is first delicious, then very harsh on the tongue - will mellow out a bit.

<3 it so far though

Braggots are good and usually the simpler the better in my experience. Make sure to use stagered nutrient additions to keep the yeast happy in that mead like environment. Just let her rip, rack every couple weeks and when it drops no more sediment prime it with some DME, bottle and let it carb up a little. See what you like about it and decide if you like the hops addition or not. Some like it in braggots and some do not.

How much DME would you use per gallon to prime?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just under an ounce per gallon or 25 grams should do the trick for 1 gallon total volume.

So I had some ingredients laying about do I decided to make a braggot. For my one gallon batch I used 32oz clover honey, .75lbs light malt extract, some cascade hops at 5min and 0min in boil (I did not boil honey) and red star cote des blancs yeast. This is my first time ever making this style. I wonder about the hops I debated about using them but I figured why not. Anyone have any thoughts, comments, or experience with this style?

Curious about the amount of hops you used for one gallon. I am thinking about making a braggot and I really like hops (I made a batch of hopped mead using centennial, citra and cascade and it is my favorite drink)

I used about 2/3 oz. 1/3 @5 & 1/3 @0 I didn't really know how much to use. Hopefully its tasty.

Latest posts

Back