Boxing the wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tannie

Reaction score
I'm, I've been left with the job of finishing of the red and white wine. I'm at the stage now where its ready to be boxed, however, the bags are new so do I still have to sterilise the bags before putting the wine in and do I have to add sugar to the bag, if so how much. Please can somebody help me. Thanks.

I haven’t ever seen boxes/bags for homebrewing so I’m not sure what you’re talking about. Anyway, anything touching the wine normally is sanitized.

I used bags for years at a wine shop on Vancouver Island. We took the taps out and filled the bags. It never occurred to us to sanitize them and I would never do that. Now that I'm bagging wine at home I'm doing it the same way. Everybody does things their own way but in my opinion there is absolutely no need to sanitize new wine bags.

It isn't necessarily the bag but contamination can transfer into the bag, proper sanitation of surroundings can keep contami action to a minimum

Back