Box around Mini Fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snow4phil

Reaction score
I have a Magic Chef 4.4 mini fridge used to store my Keg. I am in the process of adding an external tap. For the design I was thinking about something with a wood frame around the outside, resembling a crate, and having something on the top with a wood barrel (mini wine barrel) with a tap on it. With this design in mind does it seem possible to leave about an inch on the sides and top of the fridge, and the back open, to get enough airflow around the shell to cool down the coils?

Also, as a general question, those of you who have added collars to your mini fridge, have the fridge cooling system parts help up over time?

Thanks for any input.

Phil

If you are building it to look like a crate, why not leave gaps at the seams? You could easily get a decent rustic look by spacing the side boards about 1/4". That and leaving the back open should be plenty.

here is what I did...
The back is 2/3rds open for max air flow...only the top 1/3rd is closed up.

I also left a couple of inches between the fridge and the box for better cooling/avoid over heating

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

Wow, that is a great build thank you for sharing. I was thinking about horizontal boards with small gaps as suggested, but I really like the finished look on yours. I have access to a lot of pallet wood I am planning on using. Did you insulate the liquid lines through the pipe?

Phil

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

yeah...there is pipe insulation from the top of the fridge (where the beer line comes out), to the elbow on the tower...I guess you could just spray foam the entire inside of the tower, but I was thinking of how I would replace beer line if I needed to.

I used the cheapest lumber I could find. only sanded it enough to knock the edges down...stained and clear coated...
I put the boards tight together and as planned, they shrunk and gapped...the gap isn't noticable under normal conditions (turned flash on cam phone), but its there....

file.php

Back