Bowie Bottler Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZenBrew

Reaction score
I've got two Bowie Bottler problems.

The first is that the original thread discussing this product is gone. It was at https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/bottling-wand-perlick-525-75-aka-bowie-bottler-228344/. What gives? Does anyone know why it is gone? I was going to post this issue there. Oh well...

The second issue, and heart of the matter, is the lower o-rings on my Bowie bottler won't stay in place. When those o-rings slip off they bind up in the faucet and then break. Now i am out of replacements. This makes it so the adapter doesn't stay in the faucet when i am filling. So, this brings up the following questions:

1. Why would these o-rings not stay on? Too much vacuum grease? Maybe the faucet is too cold, and therefore smaller, so they just don't go in? But the weird part is the first set of o-rings go in with no problem.

2. What o-rings are the proper replacement?

3. Is there another o-ring that would make a better replacement?

4. Any other thoughts on how to fox this?

I don't know where that thread has gone. It seems to be not viewable but it's still on the site somewhere. If you search, it's still listing the thread under the search function. So it must be somewhere. Maybe pm txbrew?

Thanks JRems! I wonder if that thread is gone because the guy stopped making them?

Yeah... He seems like a busy guy, so I was hoping someone would know so I didn't have to contact him.

I've had mine for quite awhile now, but if I remember, earlier on in the thread, he lists the description of the orings so you could go to a ace hardware, ect.... and buy more. Which doesn't help you if the thread is down.

If the thread is gone, that means he is no longer paying vendor fees to the site and the thread was deleted. If he started up again and started paying vendor fees, then there is a possibility the thread could be revived but I couldn't say for sure.

Sounds like he is done with this product. With the advent of the Ontario Bottler at a much lower price point, it was just a matter of time before he grew tired of making these parts for little to no margin for his time. His wife might have told him to stop as well as wives tend to get in the way of anything that takes up too much of a man's time.

The o-rings you want are red silicone sizes 009 for the leading edge one, and 010 for the rest. O-rings are sized using a standard called AS568A so if you call your local gasket material dealer, ask for AS568A-009 and AS568A-010. I have a schitload of these in stock so if anyone wants a set, I'll do a pack of 009 and 010 refills for 5 bucks shipped. Just PM me.

You can also order them from McMaster. I also include extras in the Complement kit, which I still have stock for Bowie Bottlers. I think I have about 5 Bowie Complements left. If you are running some jerry-rigged POS plastic bottling wand on your Bowie nipple, then this is your last chance to get the top shelf Complement. After these are gone, I will only be making Complements for the Ontario style bottler. I have these listed on eBay now if you search "complement set" but I prefer to deal privately over PM.

To add, I would only grease the very outside of the o-ring, not the inside edge that is in contact with the Bowie nipple itself. I usually install new ones with a bit of rubbing alcohol and let them dry on there so they don't move around. Then I would apply the most minuscule amount of keg lube, if I needed to lube them at all. I usually do not lube, but I dip the bottler in star-san, then insert gently, wiggling it in ever so easily so the o-rings don't break. Think of it like buttsecks with the SWMBO. You can't just shove it in there all forcefully and expect her to be happy about it.

Irrenarzt said:
I usually do not lube, but I dip the bottler in star-san, then insert gently, wiggling it in ever so easily so the o-rings don't break. Think of it like buttsecks with the SWMBO. You can't just shove it in there all forcefully and expect her to be happy about it.

Seriously funny dude !

Back